10

"Dude, date day today, do you mind?", James asked me with an arm around Emma.

I shrugged. "I don't have a choice, don't I?"

James laughed and shook his head, saying goodbye to me and leading Emma out of the school doors.

I was used to this feeling already. It consider it a mystery of life. A thing that I will never solve. As usual, I feel her stare as they left.

It's been a week since the party and I've been doing my homework at home and sleeping around less. Mostly, I hang out with Sakura, Taylor, Natasha, and Ashley. Yes, I said Ashley. I found out that she was just lonely that's why she sleeps around so we became friends when she told me her parents weren't always home and stuff. Of course, Emma and I have been doing our project every other day except their date days. Things were changing; I was starting to become more serious in my studies and the business, and I realized it wasn't such a bad thing to be focused. However, one thing didn't change. Erin was still trying to talk to me, and I even believe that she's trying harder now. As if on cue, like she knew I was thinking of her, she tapped my shoulder and asked if we could talk.

I sighed. To hell with it, I don't wanna avoid people anymore. I'm trying to become a better person then so be it.

"Where?," I asked, not looking at her. It was dismissal time and I don't have practice.

She was surprised, I could tell.

"Uhm, how about starbucks?", she asked, shifting from foot to foot.

I shrugged. "I need to drop Sakura and Ashley off first. I'll meet you there.", I said to her, not bothering to hear her reply and looking for said girls.

I found them at my locker and greeted them, asking about their days one by one while on the way to the car.

I bought a limited edition range rover because Ashley wanted to, quote and quote, ride in style.

"Alright girls, seat belts on so we could be safe.", I said playfully, quoting Dora the Explorer.

They giggled and put on their seat belts.

On the way to their houses, they gossiped and giggled while I focused on not killing ourselves and the conversation I was about to have with Erin.

After dropping them off, I slowly drove to the coffee shop.

As I parked in front of the shop, I took a deep breath and got out of the car, getting into Starbucks. I spotted her immediately. Her brown wavy hair. Her piercing green eyes that was hidden behind the glasses she always wore while reading a pocketbook. Sitting beside the window as usual.

I snapped out of it and approached her, clearing my throat.

She looked up, startled. "H-hello, Jake.", she greeted me.

I nodded my acknowledgement and pointed my chin to the counter. "Same drink?", I asked.

She nodded and I walked towards the counter. There wasn't a line, miraculously, so I was served immediately.

After getting the drinks and food, I walked slowly to the seat in front of her and sat down.

A few seconds of awkward silence passed before she spoke. "I'm sorry."

I raised an eyebrow, "for which one?"

She blushed and mumbled, "both, of course."

I sighed. "I have no choice but to forgive you, Erin.", I shrugged.

Her eyes went wide. "Just like that?", she asked.

"Yes, Erin. I am trying to be a better person now and I wish for nothing to be of a hindrance to my progress. I have spent three years being an asshole.", I said, sipping on my double espresso.

"So can we start over, Jake?", she asked.

I sighed. "Alright Erin. However, remember that I will not make the mistake of loving you again.", I said harshly.

She winced, but nodded nonetheless.

So we spent the entire afternoon catching up on the last three years of our lives.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So who was Erin in Jake's life and what did she do?