2. Dancing On Thin Ice

"Due to a recent mishap during one of the Bellator's assessment rounds, we have had to make a different call." I glared at my hands, shivering from the icy frost of the mid-winter tempest. "Instead of our original assessment plan, we are now going to send you out, on your own. You will be released into an isolated division where you shall survive until only 5 of you remain. You division will be a desolate containment area. No people, no ... nobody. You may sit here now wondering, where is the hardship in that? Well, there is no food, no warmth, just isolation. Your sanity lingers..." and with that, the Dominus exited, leaving us stuttering in silence.

                                    I lay on my dormitory bed, glorming at the pasty ceiling. Ever since the day we were instructed about the assessment I have never been able to catch 40 winks. But why this. Couldn't we do the straight examination. My head raced around my head. And then I remembered home. I remembered my mother...  and my sister. Only a few days after I was taken away, I got news that she was gone. She was always the one who kept the family together. One day I would go find her. One day. I needed to get out of this hell hole first. I needed to pass the assessment and then leave. I knew exactly where to go and how to do it. I just had no time. If I didn't go and finish the assessment, I would be caught and chained before I'd even taken a step out of the building. Life or death. That was where I was. Dancing over thin ice.