[Ushijima] Eloping

You tried to keep your smile in place while you quicken your pace, walking through the corridors with your admirer trailing after you, talking incessantly despite your hints for him to back off.

At the start, when the guy confessed to you, you had very nicely rejected him since there was no reason to hurt him more than you had to. However, the dude was extremely persistent and never stopped approaching you whenever he had a chance. No matter how hard you tried to avoid him, he just couldn't get it through his head that you simply didn't like him.

It was starting to get annoying, to be completely honest.

You were that close to losing your calm and asking him to leave you alone for good. But at the same time, you didn't have it in you to yell at him. After all, the only thing he was doing wrong was falling for you, who didn't feel the same way about him.

So the only thing you could do was run away and hope he eventually gets the hint.

~~

"There's this new bakery in town, so since you're free t-"

Halting abruptly, you cut him off mid-sentence, "I'm sorry, I can't make it for lunch today."

"Why not?" He asked, a crease forming between his brows. "You don't have any club activities today."

Ideas for an excuse went through your head, but you couldn't think of anything that you hadn't used yet. In that few seconds you spent fumbling for an excuse, you felt a presence beside you.

"She's supposed to meet me."

At that familiar voice, you turned. Standing at a towering height, Ushijima Wakatoshi took your hand in his, a warm palm pressed against your own. You were rather shocked at his bold actions, but when you saw him staring at your admirer, his face as stoic as ever, you realised that he was trying to help you.

"Do you have something you'd like from [Name]?"

Perhaps it was because of his intimidating aura that made your admirer keep his mouth shut for once, shaking his head stiffly.

"We'll be taking our leave then." Ushijima said, tugging gently on your hand as he led you away from the guy whom you never managed to escape easily from.

~~

After taking another turn through the school corridors, you let out a sigh of relief, looking at your classmate who kept his gaze straight ahead, not casting you a single look nor uttering a single word.

"Thank you, Ushijima-kun." Gratitude filling your voice, you couldn't help but ask, "but why did you help me?"

Finally glancing down at you, he appeared tense, slowing in his long strides. "Was what I did unnecessary?"

"What? No, I was just wondering why, that's all."

"Oh... You just seemed like you wanted to get away from him.

"Hasn't he been harassing you for a while now?"

"You noticed that?" Genuinely curious, you were rather surprised to see the tip of his ears grow just the lightest shade of red as he nodded in response.

A bright smile lit up your face.

Ushijima had been in the same class as you for two years now, and as far as you could remember, your interaction with him were limited to the times you two worked together in group assignments and the few occasions where you would engage him in a conversation when you met him.

You did remember a day where you had asked him about volleyball though, and it was then that you saw his eyes burn with such passion that you realised that volleyball was more than just a sport to Ushijima. And through that conversation, you also noticed that you enjoyed talking to him when he opened up. He wasn't as unapproachable as everyone made him out to be.

He was just a person who didn't have a way with words.

A sudden thought hit you and you laughed. "It feels like we're eloping, don't you think so?"

"Hmm..." Despite not saying anything, you saw that his lips quirking up as he took a glance at you.

Even after making your escape, Ushijima still had not let go of your hand, and you realised you were perfectly content with letting him lead you through the halls, long fingers intertwined with yours.