[Kageyama] Damsel in Distress [2/2]

ただいま

"You're back..."

Kageyama's voice came as a breathy whisper, as if he couldn't believe that it was really you standing before him.

"I'm back," you smiled.

He remained unmoving as he kept staring at you, lost for words although he looked as if he was dying to say something. 

Your smile faltered at his indifference.

Perhaps he was angry with you – for not writing back; for losing touch. Perhaps he had forgotten all about you. These were concerns you had considered your entire journey back, and Kageyama Tobio certainly wasn't making you feel any better.

Nevertheless, you still wanted to believe that he would welcome you back.

"It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Seven years," he replied without skipping a beat.

"I still came back for you though," you mumbled sheepishly as a tiny grin adorned your features. "I kept my promise, my dear damsel in distress."

Kageyama blinked, frowning at your remark, before finally coming to the realization that those familiar words were ones you said to him all those years ago. With a small quirk of his lips, he rolled his eyes.

"You're late."

"You said it didn't matter how long it would take!" You cried out in mock dismay. "You said you would wait for me till the end of time!"

"I never said that, dumbass!"

Your eyes met for a moment and you both started laughing.

Seven years you've been apart; yet somehow, it felt almost natural to fall back into the presence of each other.

"Even after all these time," Kageyama said as your laughters faded into the night, "You're still so dramatic."

"And you're still stuck with 'dumbass' as your only insult."

"Oi."

"But you grew so much taller!" You exclaimed. "To think that I used to be taller than you."

"I've always been taller."

"Okay sure, Tobio. Whatever you say."

You giggled at the scowl on his face, recognizing that look as one where he was too stubborn to admit the truth.

As you glanced at him, you couldn't help but notice how different he seemed. Not just in appearance, but also in the way he held himself. Seven years was more than sufficient a time to create significant changes in a person, and you knew Kageyama wouldn't be the same person you parted with all those time ago. After all, you had missed out on so many things that had happened in each other's life.

It should come as no surprise that you had both changed a lot since you last saw each other.

But still...

"Tobio?"

He turned to look at you. "Yeah?"

"A hug for your knight in shining armor?" You grinned, holding your arms out expectantly. When he proceeded to stare at you apathetically, you pouted. "For old time sake?"

Kageyama sighed heavily after a moment's hesitation and shuffled towards you, who happily pulled him into a hug.

"What are you, five?" He grumbled, although he moved his hands to pat you awkwardly on the back.

"No, I'm [Name]."

The setter took a moment to comprehend what you meant but you interrupted before he could make a retort. "You're such an awkward hugger now, Tobio."

"Well sorry I don't go around hugging strangers, dumbass."

"Ahh..." Releasing him from your hold, you sheepishly looking towards the ground. "Sorry... That was weird wasn't it? To hug someone you haven't seen in such a long time. You're right, we're practically strangers now, aren't we?"

Kageyama kept his silence, and you let out a short embarrassed laughter.

"Sorry", you apologized again. "I guess I was just too excited to see my bes- my childhood best friend after so long."

Great. He made you upset again.

And this time, it was when you had finally come back to him.

Kageyama mentally berated himself for his bluntness as he tugged you back into his embrace. It certainly felt strange to do so, but he definitely didn't want you to see the tiny blush on his face.

"You're still important to me," he mumbled.

"I... I missed you, Tobio." You wrapped your arms around him. "I'm sorry I couldn't keep in touch. I lost the paper with your address when we were moving houses."

"It doesn't matter anymore, dumbass," he chuckled at her nervousness. "You're back now...

"Welcome back, [Name]."

The smile that appeared on her lips was left unseen to his eyes, but she hugged him tighter, happy to finally be with him again.

"I'm home."

おかえり