[Sugawara] Sunflower

The plaza was blanketed in a layer of white, Christmas songs still playing from the nearby stores. You breathed out against your hands, attempting to warm them up as you noted to yourself to always always bring your gloves out. The bench you were sitting on was freezing, but you endured the cold, telling yourself that he'd arrive anytime now.

People walked past you- couples, families and friends- and if it weren't for the frigid cold that lingered on your skin, it would have been a nice spot to people watch. A sudden vibration from your pocket jolted you out of your reverie.

From: Koushi

Sorry I'm late! I'll be there soon!!

You smiled in relief. Sugawara wasn't one to for tardiness, so you had been starting to get worried when he was late for a date with you. Texting back a quick reply, you leaned back against the bench, shivering at feeling of cold metal even through your jacket.

Its snowing again, you noticed as you angled your head towards the sky, watching the snowflakes cascade down. Reaching out, you caught one in your palms, the white snowflake quickly melting in the warmth of your hands.

"[Name]!"

You looked up at the call of your name from a distance, and saw Sugawara jogging towards you, his cheeks flushed as if he had been running in the cold for a while.

"I'm soooooooo sorry I'm late," he panted out when you stood up to meet him. "Did you wait for a long time?"

"About twenty minutes or so."

You could see the guilt in his eyes, and you laughed, "I'm joking, Koushi! I only arrived a few minutes ago."

He looked doubtful as he looked at you. For good reasons too. From how you could barely feel your face, you were sure that your nose would be red from the biting cold. Truth be told, you had been waiting for him for nearly half an hour, but you didn't want your boyfriend to feel any worse than he already did.

"Did something happen?" You asked, trying to change the subject.

"Oh!" His face immediately brightened and he gave you a sheepish smile. "I got you something on my way here."

It was only then that you realised that he had one hand behind his back all these while. Curious to what it was, you tried to peek behind him but he shifted when you did, a chuckle bubbling from his lips.

"For you."

A gentle smile hung on his lips as Sugawara held out a sunflower in front of you. The vibrant yellow petals stood out in the grey wintry day, like the sun peeking out from behind a thick layer of snow clouds.

Taking it from him, you stared at the golden flower, not expecting to receive such a pretty gift.

"I didn't know what to get when I walked into the flower shop, but when I saw the florist holding onto a sunflower, I thought it be nice to get that because it could brighten up your day; and when she told me that sunflowers stand for adoration, i knew it would be perfect for you."

Sugawara was really too sweet.

Unable to find your voice, you quietly touched the golden petals, taking in the beauty of the summer flower.

In essence, it was as if he was giving you the sun- with all his warmth and love.

"Do you not like it?" Sugawara's panicked voice made you look up at him. "Ahh I should have listened to the guys and got you a rose instead..."

"I love it, Koushi," you murmured, glancing up at him with a smile.

"I'd rather have one sunflower from you than a million roses from any other boy."