[Ushijima] Outcomes

A/N: Spoiler for Haikyuu! chapter 189

You waited outside the gym, watching as the coaches walked out of the gym; and the volleyball team that eventually started filtering out too. A sombre atmosphere filled the air as the boys grit their teeth, defeat evident in their eyes.

It was a close match; the outcome surprising when Karasuno managed to win against your school. How a team as unheard of as Karasuno could win against Shiratorizawa, you had no idea. But you could tell how distraught the volleyball team was when they lost.

The appropriate words of comfort failed to find their way to your lips. You could only offer them a sad smile, rooted to your perch against the wall while they walked past.

Your eyes flitted to the ground.

A minute passed, and then another. It seemed like eternity until you saw a pair of shoes stepping into your line of vision.

"Waka-kun..." You said quietly, looking up to the ace and captain of the Shiratorizawa Volleyball Team.

It was difficult to assess how he was feeling, what with his usual stoic expression. But when your gaze caught on to his, you could see the turmoil in his olive eyes. Indignant... loss... and a promise to work even harder...

"You must be tired." Stepping towards him, you held his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, as if telling him you were there for him.

"...I am..."

In a way, admitting that he was tired was akin to admitting to a weakness, which was something Ushijima rarely ever did. Unfazed, you tugged him in the direction of the school gates. "Let's go home, Waka-kun."

"[Name]..."

A weight was placed on you as Ushijima leaned him forehead on your shoulder.

"Stay here for a moment... please..." His deep voice was barely audible when he spoke, and you hugged him tightly, knowing that your boyfriend was a lot more troubled than he let on; that he needed you and was relying on you.

"Okay..."

Ushijima eventually wrapped his arms around you, letting out a sigh that tickled the side of your neck.

"I'll get stronger and defeat them..."

"I know you will."