[Kuroo] Second Button

Graduation is always a bittersweet event.

After spending years together, the prospect of leaving a school to begin a new adventure in life was exciting yet daunting. Leaving behind friends and teammates will always be the most difficult part of graduation, and there is always the possibility of drifting apart from someone dear to you. But nothing can ever take away the memories forged together.

Cheers resounded through the school halls as the principal finished a final speech for the graduating students. People started filling out of the hall into the courtyard, where graduating students said their goodbyes to their friends and juniors. All around her, she could see people hugging and giving away gifts.

The third years were graduating, and this was the last time they'd be around in school.

[Name] squeezed through the crowd of people, determined to find him.

Her legs were sore from running by the time she did, and he gave her an amused look when she approached him, out of breath.

"...Captain..."

"You look like you've just ran a marathon, manager-chan," Kuroo smirked as he closed the doors of the school gym behind him.

"I might as well have," she smiled, catching her breath.

"And here I was thinking that you were going to let me leave without saying goodbye."

"You're always disappearing!"

A chuckle left his lips as he moved to ruffle up her hair. "This'll be the last time you'll have to search for me, don't worry."

She didn't even move to swat his hand away like she usually did. Instead, she stood there quietly, before suddenly stepping forward to hug him, heart pounding wildly as his presence surrounded her.

"I don't want it to be the last time... I really don't want it to be the last time..."

"Come on," Kuroo wrapped his toned arms around her smaller figure. "I can always come back to visit, you know?"

When she didn't say anything, he pulled away, just enough to look at her crestfallen expression. "[Name], what's wrong?"

A quiet laughter left her lips as she tried to prevent the tears from building up in her eyes. "It's been such a long time since you've called me by my name, captain."

"Well, you are my adorable manager-chan."

Right... she was nothing more than the manager of the volleyball club to him. She was merely someone he worked with.

No matter how much she liked him, it was better to just let him go. Some relationships were not meant to be, and she had only planned to tell him of her feelings. But perhaps, even that wouldn't be wise. Why spoil the friendship they had? The memories they shared as captain and manager in the Nekoma volleyball team was enough.

It had to be enough.

Letting out a shaky breath, she moved away from his embrace. Kuroo reluctantly let his arms fall limp at his sides, watching her closely as she hastily rubbed her eyes.

"I'm sorry for acting so strangely on your graduation day... I just..." She bowed at him, both out of respect and because she didn't want him to see the moisture in her eyes.

"Thank you for taking such good care of me these two years, captain. It's going to be so different without you around and I... I'm going to miss you a lot..." Her voiced trailed off to a shaky whisper- a quiet confession from the bottom of her heart.

"Congratulations on finally graduating from high school, Kuroo-senpai."

Not having the courage to stay any longer, she quickly turned around to run away.

~~

Reaching the empty courtyard where the second years' classroom blocks were located, she felt herself being pulled backwards into a firm chest.

"Did you honestly think you could outrun me?"

Kuroo's low voice fanning against her ear sent chills down her spine, and she sighed out, "I'm sorry, I'm not good with goodbyes."

"It doesn't have to be goodbye, [Name]." She heard him let out a frustrated sound as he turned her around to face him. Surprisingly, his voice was gentle when he spoke. "Close your eyes and hold out your hand... I have something to give you."

A tiny crease formed between her brows, but she nevertheless did as he asked. In the darkness that she was faced with, she felt something being dropped into her palm.

"...A button?"

"My second button," he added, pointing to the empty slit on his uniform where his button should be.

She stared at Kuroo, who shot her an earnest smile. Guys normally gave their second button to girls they liked. Since the second button was located closest to the heart, it symbolized giving one's heart to the girl he liked.

But... why would he...

"Kuroo-senpai..."

"Geh, I'm not used to you calling me that..." He chuckled, before an uneasy look appeared on his visage, clearing his throat.

"The only reason why I asked you to be the manager was because I liked you. I still do, [Name]."

A rosy hue rose to her cheeks. "...Why didn't you ever say anything about it?"

"I'm not the fearless captain everyone perceives me to be," Kuroo mumbled, running a hand through his unruly hair. "I wasn't going to confess unless I knew for sure that you felt the same way. Up till today, I was prepared to graduate and forget about this one-sided love. But now that I know you feel the same way, I'm not willing to say goodbye... I don't want to let you go, [Name]."

"It's too late," she said faintly. "You're graduating... and you're going to meet lots of new people and go through a lot of new experiences while I'll be stuck here for another year."

"I'm not leaving Tokyo, so we won't be that far apart. I've already let two years go to waste because of my irrational fears. But I'm willing to make things work out no matter how difficult it may be. You mean a lot to me and I'm not prepared to give up without even trying.

"So what do you say, manager-chan? Will you be my girlfriend?"

The upward quirk of her lips made Kuroo smile. Seeing the way she peered up at him as she nodded, Kuroo swore he never felt more accomplished in his life.

"I'd love to, Captain."