0.8

0.8 - Midnight Adventures

Michael didn't mean to wake up in the middle of the night. He really didn't.

He had learned Luke was never awake then and didn't really like being woken up. Despite him saying he didn't mind it if Michael did wake him up, the white haired boy knew Luke would rather sleep.

Michael sighed quietly as he fiddled with the duvet, seeing Luke's back to him. Soft snores were escaping Luke, so he was sure Luke was asleep.

With his heart beating a little faster, Michael crawled out of bed. His ears flickered a little as he listened for someone in the house. He didn't hear anything, so he snuck out of the bedroom.

Luke had once given Michael some milk and had explained that Michael could always get some milk if he wanted. The only condition was that if Michael ever went out of Luke's room, he had to wear a beanie.

But nobody was awake right now, Michael thought, so he didn't need one, right?

The cat-boy entered the kitchen, getting a glass from one of the cabinets -like Luke had taught him- and placing it on the kitchen counter. He then moved to the fridge to get the milk, carefully taking it out and opening it. Michael carefully poured himself some milk, before putting the milk back in the fridge.

With a soft hum, he took his glass. Michael almost smiled as he held the cold glass, before taking a gulp of milk.

"Up so late?" A voice suddenly asked from the doorway, making Michael jump and squeak, his milk almost spilling.

"Sorry," the same person chuckled, walking into the kitchen a little, "didn't mean to scare you."

Michael was terrified, his ears pressed to his head as his tail had fallen silent behind him. Luckily there was a cooking isle between them, so his tail was hidden if it stayed down.

"Why are you up?" Ashton asked curiously, cocking his head to the side as he watched Michael. There wasn't much light on and Michael hoped that would help hide his ears in his hair. Luck seemed to be on the cat-boy's side, as Ashton indeed didn't seem to notice them.

However, Ashton frowned, his lips in the smallest pout. "So, you really don't talk, huh?"

Michael carefully shook his head 'no', bringing the glass with milk closer to his face and sipping it as he watched Ashton trace patterns with his finger on the cooking isle, his eyes started hurting a little, as if there was a cat close. Which was kind of weird since Ashton didn't see Michael (the cat version) anywhere.

"Did I say something to you that, I don't know, made you uncomfortable or something?" Ashton asked quietly, looking up at Michael.

Michael shook his head 'no' quickly, frowning at Ashton's sadness. Did he cause that? He didn't want anyone sad because of him. He really didn't like sad people.

"Just -- just making sure," Ashton mumbled, nodding slowly and trying to resist rubbing at his eyes. It would only worsen the itch. "So eh, would you mind if I tell you something? You don't have to answer, I guess I just need to tell someone. And you seem nice, so you know."

Michael nodded, sipping his milk again and watching Ashton. The curly haired boy smiled a little, "m'kay."

He cleared his throat, straightening his back a little and looking at Michael, "so, I don't know if it will interest you, but like, let's start at the beginning."

Michael kept sipping his milk, looking at Ashton as he told his story. "So like, I work at this music shop. And this one day, this cute boy came in and after he hugged me, he ran away. It was confusing, you know? But like, he came back a few days later and apologised. And I just, I guess I've grown to like him despite him not really visiting the shop.

Just, the thing is, I just don't know what I'm feeling? Like, I know I like both girls and boys, but like, I've never really felt something, I guess. God, I'm confusing, aren't I?"

Michael was amused, ending up giggling at Ashton's story. He didn't mean it in a mean way, the giggling, he was just amused that Ashton seemed so clueless. To Michael it seemed rather simple. But he just had a simple look on life.

But, Ashton didn't take it in an offensive way at all. He even smiled at Michael's giggles. He loved the idea that he was the one that made Michael giggle. And he couldn't deny it was a cute giggle.

Michael, however, stopped giggling as he noticed that Ashton's eyes were on him, blushing as he averted his eyes. His ears hadn't moved, luckily.

"It's okay. I like your giggle," Ashton told the boy, still smiling and suppressing a sneeze. Michael kept blushing, shifting from foot to foot as he looked down shyly.

"Don't get all shy now," the curly haired boy teased, making Michael whine. Ashton grinned as Michael put down his now empty glass to cover his face with his hands, that were hidden in his sleeves.

"You're cute," Ashton spoke boldly, watching the boy across from him shake his head with a whine. Ashton chuckled, running a hand through his hair. His confidence was blown away a bit when he sneezed, though, his nose probably an unattractive red, the thought causing him to pout a little.

"Michael?" Both boys turned their head towards the sleepy blonde that now stood in the doorway.

"Hey, why are you up?" Ashton asked, curiously watching Luke rub at his eyes.

"Eh, I woke up and Michael was missing, so, yeah," Luke sheepishly explained, running a hand through his messy hair.

"Oh, okay," Ashton seemed a little confused for a moment, before he shrugged and looked back at Michael. "Thanks for listening."

Michael nodded shyly, still blushing as he hid half his face in his sweater paws. Luke got confused at that, but was more worried and let out a soft sigh as Ashton told the boys goodnight and went to his own room.

Luke approached Michael, hugging him close. "What did I say about leaving the room without a beanie? You scared me," Luke told the flustered boy, who hugged him back.

"S-sor-sorry Lu. Th-oug-ht no o-ne a-awake." Michael muttered slowly, looking down. Luke sighed again, running a hand through Michael's hair.

"It's okay. Let's just get back to bed, yeah? Then we can talk or you can watch a movie, whatever you like." Luke suggested.

Michael nodded, following Luke back to the bedroom and crawling back in bed together with the blonde boy. He was still a little flustered from Ashton's comments, but he now felt more guilty that he had made Luke worry.

"S-sorry," he whispered, as Luke joined him in the bed and turned on the TV. The blonde hummed and looked down, only to see the cat-boy watch him with big guilty eyes.

"Oh, no, Mikey. Don't feel guilty. It's okay, yeah? Nothing bad happened, right? Ashton was nice, yeah?" Luke hoped Michael answered yes on the last question, because that would give Luke a push in the direction of revealing the secret to Ashton. Maybe. Perhaps. Hopefully.

"A-sh-Ash-ton nice. Y-yes." Luke nodded, smiling softly at the cat-boy. He then pulled him close, chuckling as the boy purred. Luke let his hand move to Michael's hair, carefully petting him and carefully stroking his ears. Underneath the duvet, a warm fuzzy tail landed on his legs and he couldn't smile wider.

Luke absolutely loved having Michael this way. And he sure hoped Michael liked him as well. And of course, he hoped Ashton would accept him once Luke would tell him.

If only he could see the future...