1.1

1.1 - A secret

The following day was just another day at work for Ashton. Or well, so he thought.

He was once again alone in the shop, spinning on the chair behind the counter. Ashton stopped spinning as the door opened, Calum walking in. Automatically, Ashton smiled.

Calum smiled back and waved, approaching Ashton. "Hi."

"Hey, how are you?" Ashton almost blurted out, smiling sheepishly at the boy that now stood across from him.

"I'm good," Calum answered, "y-you?"

Ashton chuckled as the dark haired boy stuttered, "good. Much less bored now that you're here."

Calum smiled, moving his beanie a little. It was bothering him, but he didn't want to take it off to properly fix it.

"Crap, I forgot something. Eh, give me a minute?" Ashton bit his lower lip, looking at Calum hopefully. The beanie-clad boy simply nodded, still smiling. Ashton let out a soft 'okay', jumping from the chair and running to the back.

When Calum was sure the door to the back was closed and Ashton was out of view, he took off his beanie. A content sigh left him as he massaged his dark fluffy ears -that were on top of his head- carefully. He didn't particularly like wearing the beanie, despite the fact that he had gotten quite used to wearing it. But then again, it was needed, because society was so judgemental these days. And just like his family, he was scared they would take him away. Maybe even kill him.

A gasp was heard, causing Calum to turn his head to the door Ashton had just left through. His eyes widened as he saw the curly lad standing there, eyes widened and mouth hanging open. Calum yanked the beanie back on, grimacing as it hurt his ears. But he didn't care much. He just couldn't tell anyone about this.

"W-what..." Ashton slowly brought out, blinking at the scared boy across from him. "What was that?!"

Calum started trembling, shaking his head, "no, please, no."

The boy's reaction shocked Ashton a little, so he gathered himself again and held up his hands, "calm down. It's-it's -- I'll..."

Calum was frozen in place, apart from the shaking he was still experiencing. He didn't know what to do. He was seen by Ashton and he didn't know what the boy would do. This hadn't been a good idea.

"Okay," Ashton mumbled to himself, looking up at Calum again. "Let's just... sit down? Talk?"

The dog-eared boy started fiddling with his fingers as he slowly nodded. He wasn't all too sure about it, but it was the only way to know if he would be safe.

Ashton gestured towards the sitting corner of the shop, taking place on the one side of the couch himself. Calum followed, keeping as much distance between him and Ashton.

"So, you... I mean, you know..." Ashton tried to put his thoughts to words, but it wasn't really easy. It was the complete opposite of easy, really. After all, dog ears? Real ones?

"I-I can tell you the story," Calum mumbled, carefully looking up at the curly haired boy across from him. Ashton nodded, leaning on his knees with interest. Because come on, who wouldn't be interested in such a story? He had dog ears for god's sake! Or should he say, for dog's sake?

"W-well, ehm, I started my life as a dog," Calum started quietly, avoiding eye contact, "until one day, I think I was almost two years old -as a dog- and-and suddenly," Calum swallowed, tracing patterns on his leg, "I was a human. A human with dog ears and a tail. My ears and tail."

Calum sighed, smiling lightly, "the family that had owned me adopted me as their son. They even managed to get me a birth certificate and all. I adapted to the human life quite fast. I learned to talk, walk, everything the average human could do.

I guess the only thing that was different between me and a real human, was that I had ears and a tail to hide. And a bit of a dog-like personality. It wasn't easy to get used to, always wearing a beanie and trying to keep myself in check. But eventually I got there," Calum shrugged, biting his lower lip.

It stayed silent after that, neither knowing what to say. Calum didn't really know what else he could tell, while Ashton had just no idea how to react to this all.

"Can -- eh, can I touch your ears?" Ashton then quietly and carefully asked, looking at Calum with big curious eyes. The dog-boy hesitated, before checking the store to be sure there was nobody and taking off his beanie. The fluffy ears on top of his head flickered, before staying upright. Ashton subconsciously smiled in wonder, his hand reaching out for the closest ear slowly.

"Be-be careful," Calum said, before adding real quiet, "please."

"I-I won't hurt you." Ashton assured, looking Calum in the eye. "I would never hurt you. Not purposely."

Calum nodded, a small smile tugging at his lips. Ashton scooted a little closer, his hand still raised. As Ashton's fingers touched the ear, he gasped, "they're so soft."

Calum giggled softly, looking up at Ashton through his eyelashes. Ashton trailed his fingers down the fluffy ear, feeling the softness of it. Calum, however, whined. Ashton immediately pulled back, looking at the boy with big eyes. "Shit, did I-did I hurt you?"

"N-no!" Calum immediately answered, catching Ashton's hand. "Just... I really liked it, but my tail can't wag. That hurt."

"Oh," Ashton mumbled sheepishly, looking down with a blush on his cheeks.

"It's okay," Calum assured, smiling. He scooted a little closer as well, nudging his head against Ashton's. The curly haired boy let out a chuckle of surprise, while Calum pulled back with a small blush, his ears to the side. "Sorry, habit."

"It's okay," Ashton said, repeating Calum's words. The dog-boy smiled in response, his ears perking up again. "God, your ears are so amazing."

Ashton was really amazed. He wasn't scared. Not like some people might be if they found out. Or disgusted, which he didn't understand. He was simply amazed. And he also loved it. He loved the fluffy ears. And they fit Calum so well, making him even cuter than he was already.

"You're not... like, freaked out?" Calum questioned quietly, looking up at Ashton through his eyelashes once again, his ears to the side.

"No, no!" Ashton immediately said, shaking his head, "not at all! I think it fits you. And I really like it."

Calum's ears perked up again, his eyes sparkling and a wide smile overtaking his face. But as he spoke, it was still a little quiet, "thank you."

Ashton nodded, opening his arms with a smile. Calum happily accepted the hug, burying his face in the other boy's neck, his ears tickling Ashton a little. "Thank you."

Ashton softly patted Calum's back, his chin leaning on the boy's head, right in-between the two fluffy ears.

And in that moment, Ashton thought of something. Something that should be impossible, but could actually be quite possible. Especially after he heard Calum's story.

What if Michael -the cat- hadn't disappeared (because Ashton had been quite convinced the cat had run away, despite Luke saying the cat had just been feeling a little unwell and was staying in his room and despite his allergies still being present), but had turned human? Just like how that had happened to Calum? It just all made sense.

Ashton sure was going to confront Luke about this the moment he arrived at home.