Chapter 1

Chapter 1

" Are you sure you want to do this?" I heard my dad ask and I nodded" I'm not going to be afraid" I told him. He wasn't really my dad, from what I was told, my parents had died in a fire when I was 4. My full name was Aislinn( pronounced A's-lan) Diana Gregory-Saltzman, Izzy for short. I was 17 years old and Ric( as he said could call him if I wanted to) told me that my hair was a golden wheat blonde, while my eyes were a pale grey-blue color. I followed behind Ric as we made our way toward our first class, History. He placed a hand on my shoulder and we both let out a sigh.

" Here goes nothing" he chuckled and I smiled." Good luck, Mr. Saltzman" I told him.

He opened the door and we went inside just as the bell rang. He led me to the front of the class and I heard the mumbles starting. I heard the sound of chalk before he introduced himself.

" We also have a new student" he told them " Meet Aislinn"

" Please call me Izzy, since it's easier to pronounce" I told them and I heard the mumbles go silent as I then put out the unseen for them." Any questions?" I asked.

" Where are you from" someone asked and I smiled" Boston"

" What's your last name" someone else asked I laughed before answering" Gregory-Saltzman, and before you ask Mr. Saltzman is my adopted father, my parents died when I was younger, the cause of their deaths also left me permanently blind in both eyes"

" Wait, your blind?"

" As a bat" I said proudly

" I think that's enough questions for now, Izzy"

I nodded and started toward an empty seat, but as I took a step someone took my hand and I pulled away." I can find my seat by myself" I snapped at the person before finding a seat near the back. As I sat down, I heard someone say under their breath." Well that was rude".

When the bell rang for Lunch, I went outside. I sat down just as I heard someone say" Oh...uh hi"

" I'm sorry is someone sitting here" I asked

" Actually, it's alright. I'm Caroline Forbs" The person told me and I smiled" I'm Izzy"

" I know, we have History together." I started eating and I heard her get up." I'll see you later Izzy, maybe you could ask your dad to take you to the Grill later"

" Nice to meet you Caroline, and thanks."

I heard her walk off and I let out a sigh before I got up and started walking. After school, I was waiting for Ric when I was knocked to the ground " I'm so sorry" a voice told me and I sighed getting up.

" It's okay, I'm use to this" I joked." I'm Izzy"

" Jeremy, Jeremy Gilbert " he told me and I smiled before I heard my dad calling.

" I got to go" I hurried toward the sound of my dad's voice and I heard him call out a goodbye.

I got in the car and I sighed" this place shows promise" I told him and he laughed." long day?"

" I met some interesting people, one of them literally knocked me off my feet"

He laughed" yeah I saw that, Jeremy seems like a good kid" he told me. I nodded before asking" can we go to the Grill later"

" I don't see why not. I'm glad your making friends, but be careful, alright"

" ok..." I told him as we walked up to the apartment.

Later that day, we went to check out the grill. I met Jeremy's Aunt Jenna there and sat down at a table. I heard Ric pull out a bunch of papers and I laughed" homework already?" I asked and he grunted out a response. I sipped the drink I ordered and chuckled at his annoyance. We went home a few hours later but he left saying that he forgot something and I went to bed.

Dream

I smiled as my dad turned out the light" goodnight, Izzy" he told me.

" Goodnight daddy" He left and I turned over but sat up when I heard a crash. I got up and went over to the door. I heard voices downstairs and went to look only to find the stairs on fire. I ran back into my room as the flames crept toward me and hid under my bed, smoke filled my room and I coughed, something got in my eyes and I tried to rub it out but it only made it burn more. " Mommy, Daddy" I cried but there was no response.

My world started to go dark as the flames entered my room but I saw someone walking through the flames. The last thing I saw was the person kneeling down and pushing the bed out of the way.

Reality

I sat up with a gasp before letting out a sigh and laying back down. I had passed out after the person had saved me but when I had woken back up, I couldn't see a thing, it was like someone had put a permanent blindfold over my eyes. The police had found me in the front yard the next morning. My house had been turned to ash, and my parents bodies were found dead in the living room. The person who saved me; no sign of him ever being there, but everyday, when I wake up, I thank that person but a part of me wonders, why?