Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I let out a sigh as I smoothed out my dress before putting on a smile and stepping to the top of the stairs. I hadn't wanted to do the pageant this year but had decided to anyway, and not because Klaus had promised to give me some details about who I was. " Aislinn Gregory-Saltzman accompanied by Dean Grant" Caroline announced and I started down the stairs toward Dean, one of Klaus's Hybrids; who was also unwillingly attending the pageant.

'I hate my life' I thought as he led me toward the dance floor.

When the dance was over, Dean left me sitting alone at a table and I sat pouting as I listened to the music. When it was time to award the winner, I was led onstage and Caroline announced to everyone. " This year's Miss Mystic Falls is.." there was the sound of paper." Aislinn Gregory-Saltzman."

Cheers rang out and my eyes widened in shock but as I was about to receive the crown, screams rang out and I was suddenly 4 again; fire crept toward me but this time there was no one there to save me as the fire consumed me.

" No" I screamed sitting up in bed before I let out a sigh when I realized it had all been nothing but a dream.

A few hours later, I climbed out of the car as Klaus held my door open for me. I would have called Jeremy but he was having Hunter problems right now, I also didn't have much of choice since he had showed up at my door this morning declaring that it be so. " Play nice, don't run with scissors, make friends" He said sarcastically and I rolled my eyes. " I'm not 5, and I could have called Caroline so you didn't have to drive me." I told him, only to be stopped when he suddenly grabbed my arm.

" One of my hybrids will be here after school to take you home, please don't fight me on this Aislinn, because you will lose." He whispered and my heart sank before he let me go.

********

" Alright, what's the deal?" I questioned as I was led to Klaus, who stood painting nearby." Thank you Felix, you can go now" Klaus called out and I heard the hybrid walk away.

" I told you before that when you were ready I would tell you what you wanted to know" Klaus said walking toward me and I frowned as he began to explain." The night that we met all those years ago, you had already begun to show signs of being a witch but your parents had decided that they wouldn't tell you until you were older, and able to handle it; I'll admit you intrigued me, especially for a 2 year old and they were fools for not seeing the signs."

" What do you mean signs?"

" Accelerated growth, visions of the future, heightened senses, that sort of thing but the most fascinating were your temper tantrums."

" Temper tantrum? I.." I trailed off when a memory flickered my head and I heard him chuckle. " That's right, magical powers plus the temperament of a werewolf are extremely dangerous things, you never know what could happen."

" I didn't kill my parents" I denied and I heard him step closer to me." No, but you did light fuse that sealed their fate."

Flashback

A 4 year old Aislinn awoke to a crash and climbed out of bed before walking out the door when she heard her parents yelling in the living room below." Your not taking her" She heard her mother scream." She's just a child."

" Your daughter is a rarity, something that could of great use to me; if given the proper training, she will be a great witch one day."

" Mommy?" Aislinn called out and the three adults turned to look at her, but only one seemed pleased with her sudden appearance. " Izzy, go back to bed."

" Why is everyone fighting?"

" Now Izzy" Her father yelled and Izzy turned to go back to her room, but she stopped as soon as she reached the doorway. " There are plenty of children out there like her, why her?"

" You play me for a fool?" She suddenly heard Klaus yell and her eyes widened in fear when she heard him raise his voice. " I know what she is, continuing to hide it from her is foolish and eventually she will find out, and she will hate you for it. It's better if I took her now, then you ruin her life with keeping it from her."

" She is our daughter" Her father cried. " Not some weapon for you to use when you want."

" Who said anything about turning her into a weapon?" Klaus questioned. " She would be cared for and protected from those like you, who would hunt her for the blood in her veins, and when the time comes she will be taught. Now enough of this foolishness, hand her over or I will take her."

" Your not laying a finger on her" Her mother yelled just as Aislinn approached the stairs again but what she saw next sealed her fate; her mother had lunged at Klaus and in response he had shoved his hand into her chest. Aislinn let out a scream and flames ignited around her.

Present Day

Tears fell down my face as he finished explaining and I heard him let out a sigh." This isn't the life you should have had Aislinn, but if I hadn't stopped your parents they would have used you for their own means. Once you were out of the house, I compelled you to forget about what happened that night and replaced it with different events but I made you a promise that you would never be alone; a promise I have kept all these years."

" And Elijah, he knew?"

" Elijah knows because I told him."

" Why didn't you just tell me?" I asked.

" Because the image you had painted about your real parents seemed so perfect, I didn't wish to ruin it for you and I also didn't want you to blame yourself for something you had no control over."

" Still would have been nice to know" I mumbled pulling my knees up to my chin as he sat next to me." No child should have that weight on their shoulders, Aislinn." He told me taking my hand and a frown crossed my face.

Why did it sound like he knew from experience