Blur

My months seemed to go by in a blur. Everything is always the same. School. Practice. Nightmares. School. Practice. Nightmares. School. Practice. Nightmares.

I was so exhausted. The nightmares kept me from sleeping. The sleep, or lack of, kept me from focusing in school which led to a constant string of crappy grades. Practice became something that was mind numbing. I was focused on pushing my team, and myself. If I could get my brain off of school and the nightmares for a couple hours, than I could continue functioning.

I could see Brit was worried. She came in my room and comforted me on nights that I woke up screaming or sobbing. Her babies didn't wake her up half as much as I did.

My mom didn't know. Between weird night shifts, sporadic day shifts and out of town conventions, it was like having she was barley here, not that I held that against her. She works hard to support us, and I know that. It's just hard living with someone who is barley there, and who can't help it. I made Brit promise not to tell my mother, or anyone. I don't think I could handle being institutionalized for going crazy.

We were rolling into the second week of December when Samantha, or Sam, asked for another interview. I, of course, said yes. It was another distraction. And it was another thing that made me look good to college reps, because surly my grades were starting too worrisome.

She met me at my house, her wavy blonde hair, tied back in one of those nice buns, her lips colored in with bright red lipstick, and her makeup done to perfection. She wore black blouse and a pair of dark wash skinny jeans. Just that atmosphere about her whispered sophistication, and perfection .Secretly I envied her, but I would never admit that. When she came in, she had two coffees.

"I'm so glad you decided to meet with me again. My editor loved my last article about you. So did this coaches that I passes it onto. They said you were, oh what word did they use, unreal?" Samantha was waving her arms about as she talked, and eyed the coffee, surprised she didn't spill a drop the whole time.

"Uh, yeah, no problem." I said as she began to set up her stuff on my table.

When she looked up and really looked at me, she stopped. "Oh honey. It looks like you haven't slept in ages! Here, this coffee might help. Two shots of expresso!"

"What makes you think I'm tired?" I said defensively.

She gave me a sympathetic smile and pointed to her under eye, "The dark circles under your eyes are a dead give away."

"Oh." Was all I could think of to say, as I grabbed my coffee.

We sat down, and we began our interview.

.

.

.

About an hour later, we were finishing when Brit walked in to the kitchen with one of the twins on her hip.

"Oh, sorry I didn't know we had company." Brit said as she grabbed a bottle of milk out of the fridge.

"My name is Samantha. I was just here to interview Summer about her soccer team and such. She's made quite a name for herself." Samantha said.

"Oh, I know. She's quite amazing. My name is Britney. And this here is Alice." She said, holding Alice's hand.

"Hi there Alice!" Samantha said in a high pitch baby voice, making Alice smile.

"So what is your relation to Summer?" Samantha asked.

"She's my best friend. When I had problems with living arrangements, her and her mother took me in." Brit informed her.