No Warning

“I thought you were staying for a week?” I said, as I watched Bryce throw his duffle bag into the back of his truck. Leaning against his truck, I didn’t even attempt to hide my frown. Bryce had proposed to me two days ago, we tried telling our parents yesterday, and now I was left here to deal with all of this.

Bryce walked over to me and hugged me tightly against his chest. “Summer, no one is as upset about this as I am. But if I don’t go back, I lose my scholarship.” He explained. He pulled away and brushed his thumb across my cheek. He lovingly gazed down at me, making me melt into this gooey mess. I could feel that he loved me. I could see it too. It just radiated from him.  I didn’t even realized I had started crying until Bryce had started to wipe away my tears. “Babe, please don’t cry.”

But the thing was, it wasn’t sad crying. It was happy crying. Wait, that sounded stupid. But, I guess in a sense it was happy crying. I was happy to have this man in my life. A man who loves me so much. I can see it in the way he looks at me, and it feels amazing. It just made me happy. So I let out a chuckle, “No, no, I’m not crying because I’m upset, I’m just so unbelievably happy that I have you in my life. I hope that doesn’t sound weird or anything, I just mean that-“ Bryce shut me up when he slammed his lips against mine. There was so much intensity behind that kiss that it was shocking. Bryce pinned me against his truck, and kissed me even harder. I tangled my fingers in his hair and pulled him closer to me, getting a low moan from Bryce.

I pulled away first, breathing heavily and smiling like a maniac. Bryce smiled too, and left a trail of kisses along my jaw. This man absolutely drives me crazy. I can’t believe we had that intense of a kiss out in the open like that.

“Just, promise to be home as soon as soon as possible. And don’t forget to call me when you can…” I said.

“I promise. And I’ll make sure to call you every night.” He promised with a smile.

“Drive safely, and call me when you get back.” I said pecking him on the lips one last time.

He headed to the driver’s side and hopped in. He waved on last time before driving off. I watched his truck until it turned out of the neighborhood and out of sight. I hugged my arms close to my body and walked back inside my house.

I think right now I should focus on the issue at hand, my mom.

Slowly I made my way up to my mom’s room. I tried to think of any excuse not to go talk to her, and I actually came up with a few, but I’m going to deal with this like pulling off a band aid. Quickly.

My hand hesitated before opening the door. My mom sat there, a photo album open in front of her and a wine glass half full in her left hand. I walked over and sat next to her. Glancing over a realized it was my parents wedding album.

“You know, I always thought your father looked attractive in a tux.” She said.

I smiled as she flipped through the pages. There was a picture of my parents at the altar, another with my parents shoving cake in each other’s face. But it made my heart ache when I saw a picture of mom and grandpa walking down the aisle. I realized my own father would never get the chance.

“I guess this whole thing bothered me because, I didn’t think I would have to say goodbye to my little girl so early.” She paused and took a drink of her wine. “I thought that when I did, I’d have your father here.” She said, downing the rest of her wine. She turned and looked me in the eye,

“Summer, I support your relationship, and I’m absolutely happy for you. I was just upset because…” she hesitated, but I nodded showing her I understood why. She can’t imagine going through this without my dad, and I’m starting to realize its gona be just as hard for me.

“But enough of this. This should be happy for you, and I’m not going to be selfish and ruin this for my daughter.” She said, more to herself than to me.

~*~*~

Opening up the back gate, I entered Bryce’s backyard. His mom had called me last night sometime after Bryce had left and asked me to come over to discuss the wedding. We weren’t actually getting married until next summer, but his mom said we had to start planning ASAP. Which, I guess in a way I was still in a shock. It seemed surreal to think of me, getting married.

I used the key they had made me and entered the back door. “Hello?” I yelled.

“I’m upstairs sweetie! I’ll be down in a minute. Just make yourself at home!” She yelled from the upstairs. I smiled and headed towards the kitchen to grab a sprite. When I entered the kitchen I wasn’t expecting anyone to be there, so when I saw a man there looking at a one of the pictures on the wall, I nearly had a heart attack. But what shocked me most is this man looked strangely similar to Bryce. Same green eyes, same strong jaw, same build, same slightly curly brown hair. If I didn’t know any better I’d say they were related.

“You must be Summer. Bryce’s fiancé.” The man said with a cocky smile. His hair was tucked into in a beanie even though it was close to a hundred degrees outside. His green eyes gazing over every inch of my body, making me feel beyond uncomfortable.

“Yes, and you are?” I asked.

He grinned, “Dylan.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you.” I said.

“So, I’m just going to take a wild guess that little Bryce hasn’t told you about me.” He said matter of factly.

“No, I’m afraid not.” I said, a little confused.

“Figures.” He muttered under his breath.

When he noticed my questioning gaze, he smiled and said, “I’m Bryce’s brother.”

I felt like I had been hit by a train. No warning what so ever. This train had just shown out of nowhere and ran me over. This train was named Dylan. I’ve known Bryce for two years and he never, EVER, told me he had a brother nor have I ever seen a picture of this guy anywhere in this house! This guy had to be messing with me.

“I’m sorry. I think I heard you wrong, did you just say you’re Bryce’s-“

“Brother? Yes. I did.”

I watched him curiously, “I’m sorry if I’m having a hard time believing you. But if you’re Bryce’s brother, than where have you been for the past two years and why haven’t I’ve heard about you or seen a single picture of you?”

Crossing his arms and leaning against the wall, he grinned, “Well, my parents probably still pissed that I haven’t kept in touch since I’ve left.

When I graduated about four years ago I left without so much as a word. I wanted to get as far away from this town as possible. And my parents didn’t understand that. So we haven’t talked for years.”

 “Why did you want to leave this town so badly?” I asked

“To tell you the truth, I’ve never cared for this town, or its people.”

“Why? I’ve lived here for almost 3 and a half years and everyone’s been as nice as can be. Well, at least most of them.” I said, thinking of Jazz.

“That’s just it. Everyone is too nice. It’s almost sickening. I’d hoped I’d never have to come back here.”

“Well, why did you come back?” I asked.

“Well, my mother called me the other day telling me that I had to visit. That my little baby brother was engaged.”

“But you never bother to keep in touch before this so why bother now?” I asked. Just then Bryce’s mom walked into the room.

Dylan mustered up a fake smile, “Because I love my brother.”

I frowned knowing that this wasn’t  the actual reason. Well, when I got him alone I was going to find out the truth. But for now I mustered up a
smile and glanced at Bryce’s mom.

Bryce’s mom smiled, “Oh good, you two have met!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!