Aqua Man and Mermaid Girl

I ran into Bryce’s arms and hugged him. “You’re officially a high school graduate!” I said excitedly. Bryce spun us around, His graduation gown spinning around with us. I pressed my lips to his, just for a moment. “I’m so proud of you!” I said. And I truly meant it. He was so unbelievable smart, as well as talented on the field.

I was about to say something else when I heard someone clear their throat. I looked over to see Mrs. Ashby, our old German teacher. Her blue eyes sparkled with pride, and her lips were curled into a smile. Her white hair was perfectly placed, as always. Bryce put me down, and we stood there awkwardly.

“Well, I just wanted to come over and congratulate Thomas.” She said, using Bryce’s German name. “Thank you Frau Ashby.” He said.

“Deutch bitte?” She asked, smiling.

Bryce grinned, “Danke, Frau Ashby.”

Her smile widened. “I must say, I never really expected you two to ever be this close.”

My face flushed, but Bryce gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. “Any who, I just wanted to wish you luck on whatever path you choose in life Thomas. I know you’ll to great things in life.” She gave him a slight pat on the shoulder before turning and walking away. Once we were sure we were alone again Bryce turned to me and snaked his arms around my waist. “You know, if I was her, wouldn’t have expected we end up like this either.” Bryce told me.

“But, are you glad we did?” I asked.

“Of course!” he kissed the tip of my nose.

“So are we going Clair’s party tonight?” he asked.

“Yep.” I smiled. I was looking forward to tonight. Bryce had to leave tomorrow morning, so I wanted to make sure we got to spend as much time together before he did. After he left, we would have nothing but phone calls, texts, and possible Skype sessions to see each other. The very thought of it made me sick to my stomach, so I pushed the thought out of my head.

~*~*~

It was seven o’clock at night. Bryce and I were just rolling up to Clair’s house. People were spilling out of the house. But Clair’s house, being at least twice as big as mine, could hold a ton of people. Bryce and I walked hand in hand up to her house. I was no longer wearing my dress, but I was in a pair of bleached shorts and a shimmery blue tank top. Bryce had changed out of his own dress clothes and was now wearing a pair of beige shorts, and a red T-shirt.

We walked through the door and were immediately greeted by loud music and drunk high school grads. This mad me instantly worry. Bryce has, in the past, hit a couple rough patches where he has turned to alcohol. It had gotten bad. But, he hasn’t touched alcohol in almost 6 months. I eyed the red plastic cups, and bit my lip nervously.

“I’m gonna go get us something to drink.” Bryce told me. I gave him a suspicious look, be he gave me a reassuring smile. A minute later he returned with two unopened cans of Sprite. I let out a breath that I didn’t even realize I was holding. I took the Sprite, and opened it. “So where to? Do you wana stay in here, or head out back?” I asked.

“Whats out back?” Bryce asked.

“Well Clair has the pool opened and the music is playing back there as well.” I informed him.

Bryce had a thoughtful look on his face, “We should defiantly head over to that pool.”

I let a grin play across my lips. “I couldn’t agree more.” I grabbed Bryce’s hand and lead him through the crowd. There were girls twerking and people grinding each other. I cringed at the horrific scene. Pushing past the last of the people, we were finally outside.

The cool summer night air blew my hair back. Clair’s parents had a rather large tiki bar near the side of the bar, which Clair had decorated with paper lanterns. She had two stereos set on both side of the backyard, blasting the same music that was playing on the inside. There were about 20 something people already out here.

Bryce pulled me to the pool. He stopped at the edge and shook off his sandals. He sat down at the edge and dipped his feet in. He patted the concrete beside him, and I joined him. “Clair really knows how to throw a party.” Bryce said.

“No kidding. Too bad Brits missing it.”

“Why? Where’s she at?” Bryce asked.

“She’s actually at her aunt’s house. They’ve been finding different baby stuff, since her mom won’t help her.”

“Still?” Bryce asked.

“Yep. Her mom is still pissed that she did “The dance with no pants”. Her words, not mine.” I said. Bryce let out a chuckle.

I kicked me feet in the water, enjoying the cool feeling. “You know,-“ I started, still looking at the water, “-I could be on the swim team.”

“Really?” Bryce asked sarcastically.

“Yep. I’m like a mermaid in the water!” I told him proudly.

“Oh yeah? Well, I’m like Aqua man in the water. I could probably summon sharks if I tried.

An evil grin spread across my face. “Oh really?”

“Yeah.” He said, with a smirk.

“Prove it!” I said pushing him in. “Summon me sharks Aqua man!”  I joked. Bryce surfaced, and wiped his face. I grabbed my sides as I laughed.

“Oh? You think that’s funny mermaid girl?”

“It’s absolutely hilarious!” I said, laughing even harder.

“Then why don’t you come and join me?” he said, grabbing my feet and pulling me in.

“BRYCE!” I shrieked before going under. When I came back up Bryce was laughing. “You’re right Summer! That is pretty hilarious!”

I splashed him, shutting him up. I turned around and swam to the shallower end of the pool so my feet could actually touch the bottom. Bryce followed, swimming up behind me. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close to him. I let myself relax into his embrace. Times like this I loved, and it was times like this I was going to miss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!