Chapter 7

SOTC: Just One Yesterday by Fall Out Boy
• I don't have the right name, but I have twice the heart •

"Pick one," I said, laying a fan of weapons in from of Gabriel. He was trying in vain to scrub the floor of the blood stains from two days ago and looked insulted at my offer.

"Come on, someday you're going to be cornered and you're going to think to yourself, huh. Why didn't I take one of those weapons from Keira?"

He didn't even crack a smile. He was probably thinking that I was some kind of disrespectful, annoying brat.

He resumed his scrubbing.

I squatted down to his height. "Aye. Those people that came into the church were bad. They were liars and murderers and cannibals and sinners." I emphasized the last word because I knew it would hit him where it hurts. "Pick one."

He looked at me with a tired look on his face. I waited.

His arm reluctantly slunk out and touched a machete.

I smiled. "Nice choice."

•••

It was probably week two of me in the group, but I didn't have the heart to count. Everything seems too slow when you count it.

I was on the roof again when I heard the groans.

They came from the woods. First, Gabriel – limping like the pity party (🎶) he was – hobbled out of the trees with a terrified expression on his face.

Then came the walkers. A huge behemoth horde of rotting monsters stumbling in from where Gabriel had come. They were mostly teens and children.

I'd say we were outnumbered at least twenty-five to one.

Yeah, screwed again.

Gabriel hadn't spotted me on the roof yet. He pounded on the doors, yelping and crying for help.

"GUYS!" I said as I dropped down. Gabriel's eyes went as wide as softballs at my sudden appearance. "CARL! MICHONNE! UNLOCK THIS DANG DOOR RIGHT NOW!"

I heard rustling as the walkers strained towards us through the organ pipes. Unsheathing my knife, I sliced and diced them, but more kept coming.
Gabriel cowered at the door, banging on it as I got more panicked.

A walker managed to squeeze through the pipes, and I stuck my machete through its head. "SOONER RATHER THAN LATER, FOLKS!"

The gaps in the barricade grew, organ pipes bending off like they were made of paper. There was a walker with a Hawaiian shirt stretching his arm towards me when...

"COME ON!" Carl flung the doors open and tugged my arm inside. We raced down the aisle, the barrage of walkers pushing us from behind. Michonne gave Judith to me, and I raced into the doors behind Gabriel. He pulled up a floorboard.

"LET'S GO," I ushered, pulling Carl in as Michonne locked the doors. She stuck her katana into the floorboards.

Gabriel dropped into the hole, and I followed, Judith in my arms. She was on the verge of crying, so when we got outside, I immediately gave her to Carl.

Michonne came out, somehow with the katana in her hands again. She handed us the floorboard. "BLOCK THE DOORS."

Carl and I took off, setting the floorboard onto the thick doors that – just yesterday – were completely bare of all these walkers. Most of them had disappeared inside, so it was a matter of keeping them there.

"USE YOUR GUN," Carl yelled, and I flung my pistol out of its holster. I banged the butt of it against the uprooted nails, and pretty soon the walkers were drawn to the noise, sticking their rotten fingers through the crack. A child's arm came all the way out, so I used my knife to hack it off. A spray of dark blood splattered the porch.

"That'll hold," I told Carl, and we dashed back to Michonne, Gabriel and Judith.

He shook his head. "But not for long."

The tension slacked as we looked at the walker-ridden church. I spotted several milling around near the windows, multiple others trying to pry open the doors. I looked over, and Carl was trying to calm Judith while Gabriel looked like he was about to double over and cry.

Michonne gave me a reassuring smile. I wondered what her life was like before, and why she can be so motherly in such a dank situation.

•••

The walkers were about done with the board when the fire truck came barreling out of the woods, lights flashing, sirens whirring. It crushed the porch, obliterating the wood, flattening it into a pancake. People piled out– people I knew.

"Beth's alive!" Somebody yelled breathlessly, and even though I didn't know who Beth was, I was all for it.
We piled into the truck, and an unconscious Eugene was slumped over against the wall.

I didn't ask.

•••

It'd been hours since we'd left, but Atlanta was in sight. I stuck my head out the windows, and we were plunging into the perfect city skyline.

There was a bump, and I rocketed five feet in the air, falling on my butt. I swear, this whole firetruck was a gigantic, painful trampoline. Carl grabbed my hand and pulled me up.

"Thanks," I said quietly, for otherwise it was pretty silent.

He nodded, but there was another bump and he gripped my shirt frantically. I smiled.

We stopped before an industrial hospital, which had millions of rows of windows reaching up into the smudge-cloud sky.

I wrapped my arms around my knees. Whoever this Beth person was, she must've been pretty hurt to have to end up in a hospital, right? And if the hospital was just a safe bunker, it might be hard to make our way through.

Carl caught my glance. "Beth is really nice. You'll like her." He smiled.

I nodded, but all I could do was stare at the endless building from under the lip of the firetruck's ceiling. It brought back memories that made me want to throw up. Shove it away.

Grady Memorial Hospital was where Dad used to work before the apocalypse started.

--------------------------------------------

A/N: Yes I know the word "dank" is there. But your comments are wayyyy too hilarious to delete the mistake :P

I'm prewriting a bit because I have wayyy more time than I thought I would have :)

It's a pretty natural pattern for me to update every other day, so I might stick with that.

Ayyyyyyye we're at about 20 votes!
Can I get a HOLLLAAAHH?!
Geez guys. Y'all are fast. I literally started this about two weeks ago!
Ur the best!!! 😳😄😘
Have a fabulous day!

QOTD: Which font do you read wattpad stories in?
AOTD: I like Gill Sans :)

------------------------------------------

Word count:
1122

Edited 12-30-15
Edited 2-26-16
Edited 8-3-16