a letter about my age

With this book being over 400k reads and having been a central part of my life for so long, I feel like I have a responsibility to share the lessons I learned while its been in existence. This is one of them.

I wrote this book when I was in seventh grade. I was twelve.

I was in a creative writing program, but that doesn't negate the fact that I was younger than the grand majority of my readers.

I've always felt so held back by my age and lack of experience. I tried to hide any indication of being so young. I tried to pretend I was sixteen. I wrote "high school student" in my bio.

On my thirteenth birthday, Bite Me had generated upwards of 50k reads. I really wanted to be my real self online. I wanted to stop lying, but I couldn't. People would think I was naïve. People would think I was a fool.

So I promised myself that on my fifteenth birthday, I was going to tell everyone that you can write a popular book while you're still a kid or a teenager. You don't have to let your age hold you back.

Even though Bite Me wasn't the best work, it was what gave me exposure. It was what got me where I am today. It was what allowed me to grow my writing capabilities and learn what it was like to put myself out there on the Internet.

If your age is a point of vulnerability, you don't have to reveal it. But don't let it hold you back either. A lack of past experience just means that it hasn't been experienced yet.

You don't have to be a college student to start on your dreams. If you feel ready, go for it. Write your heart out. Draw a million drawings. Pick up a basketball. Download garageband. Post a YouTube video. The possibilities are endless, and right at your fingertips.

And if your parents aren't allowing you, well. My mom barred me from reading fanfiction and I still went behind her back to make this account and write this story. I set a bad example. I'm not encouraging disobeying your parents. You could always ask them first.

I turned fifteen today, and I'm still too young to be saying any of this. I know a lot of my readers need to hear it. I need to hear it too. This is what I've been struggling to reflect for the last three years.

Never put pressure on yourself to be your best self at this certain time, because you have plenty of time left. Try new things now. Practice now. Never limit yourself without a good reason.

And if things don't seem to work out, don't be afraid to forgive yourself.

Lots of love,

Michelle