Chapter 13

Two frickin days to Xmas!!!!!!
Yassssssss
I thought I published this but I guess I didn't... Sorry y'all

SOTC: Pompeii by Bastille
• But if you close your eyes, does it almost seem like nothing changed at all? •

The asphalt was dark with absorbed rainwater. Leaves were strewn across the road, and everybody's breath came out in thick clouds. The wind whipped my hair around, and I had to pull the collar of my shirt over my face to keep the wind from stinging it.

When it had gotten to the point that I was warm with the cold, Michonne finally let us stop. I pulled my shirt down a bit so I could see.

There was a fallen tree spanning the length of the road, and then behind it was an RV and a gray car.

Michonne shook her head. "He told the truth."

All of a sudden, there was a rustle in the bushes. Abraham and Rosita took up arms behind the car, while Michonne, Maggie, Glenn, Carl and I stood ready near the tree. I drew my machete, because my pistol was now useless without any ammo.

A walker came stumbling out, in a long sleeve gray shirt and grimy khakis. Then another came out with long, auburn hair.

"I got 'im," Abraham said, drawing his own knife. He and Rosita approached the zombies with their guns over their shoulders. I sheathed my knife and watched from a distance as they apprehended the walkers. They then disappeared into the RV as Maggie and Glenn checked out the car.

•••

The cans were heavy as Carl and I hauled them into the barn, plopping them into the big pile that had accumulated. Aaron was indeed awake, and he seemed pretty damn scared.

"This," Rick said, picking up a can of green beans and showing it to Aaron. "This is ours now."

Aaron gave a slow nod. "There's more than enough."

"It's ours," Rick repeated. "Whether or not we go to your camp."

"Woah woah woah." I held my hands up. "Time out, why wouldn't we go?"

"If he were lying," Michonne added. "Or he wanted to hurt us, but he isn't. He doesn't." She stared at Rick, then everybody else. "We need this. So we're going. All of us." There was a pause. "Somebody say something if they feel differently."

"I don't know," Rick mumbled.

"This barn smells like horse shit," Daryl commented. That was very true.

"Yeah." Rick looked up at the group. "We're going."

Nobody said anything else. Carl gave me a tiny smile and I returned it. My eyes then latched on a stray can of corn. My mouth started watering. I hadn't had corn since the gas station days.

"So where are we going?" Rick finally asked Aaron.

Aaron looked up from his bindings. "Uh... Every time I do this, I'm always behind the wheel, driving the recruits back. I believe you're good people, I'd bet my life on it, it's just... I'm not ready to bet my friends' lives just yet."

"You're not driving." Michonne said simply. "So if you want to get home, you better tell us where."

Aaron paused, then nodded. Rick pulled out a map as Aaron spoke. "Go north on route 16."