Chapter 16

SOTC: Echo by Trevor Moran
Even though you make me glow, I have to move on and go •

---------------------------------------------

We were ten feet away. I folded my arms over my chest. My duffel stopped bouncing against my back. Marshal pressed his finger to his lips, listening.

Silence.

"I really hope that you're right about this place, Keira." Marshal furrowed his brow.

A lump sat in my throat. It would be all my fault if this place didn't turn out well.

Marshal unlatched the gate.

•••

Carl poked me lightly in the arm. I peeked through bleary eyes, glaring as I sat up. "Are we finally here?"

The RV jiggled and stopped, giving me my answer. I turned towards the windows, my mouth hanging open at the huge walls.

I hadn't seen walls like those since Terminus.

Everything seemed so wrong... But I had to go in. I had to push through.

It would be worth the risk.

Wouldn't it?

Millions of questions and possibilities battled throughout my head as I stood and ran out into the cold air. Wind stung my face as I pushed my way against it, sweeping my braid across my neck as a method of warmth. Then, retrieving my bag from the trunk, I swung it across my shoulders and hugged it to my chest.

The wind quieted down a bit as everybody else came out. I jogged up to the gates. Rick was there too, with Aaron by his side. They were just standing there, then I realized that they were listening.

It was the sound of laughter.

Children's laughter.

I took a deep breath and felt a chill run down my spine. This was going to be okay, I reassured myself. Don't worry. (A/N: BE HAPPY)

The gate slid open with a rusty creak, revealing a normal-looking neighborhood, so picturesque it looked like a stock photo.

A turmoil of emotions rippled through my body as I dug my nails into my bag. Carl came up beside me, holding baby Judith in his arms.

He looked over at me, giving a smile.

I returned it. It's going to be okay.

•••

Her name was Deanna, and she seemed pretty damn suspicious. Spewing advertisement of this "fantastic" city to our group. Pretty soon she had herded most of us to our houses, but she kept a few to interview.

I was, unfortunately, one of those people.

I was stuck in a wallpapered room, with a hardwood floor and three cushy chairs arranged around a table. Cards and board games were stacked up inside a cabinet with a TV on top.
A TV. Like, sit down and rot your brain for hours TV.