Chapter 24

Sorry for the POV changes in advance. I couldn't figure out how to make a chappie that was simply Keira's POV. It would leave out too much action :3

If you hadn't caught on already,
Keira's POV: •••
Carl's POV: Ø  Ø  Ø
Switching POVs: • Ø • Ø •

The reason I don't "announce" the POV is because I feel like it flows better this way :)

SOTC: Don't You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia
Those days are gone. The memories are on the wall •

I knew that the moment I looked in the mirror, I would fall apart. Seeing the hollowness that weighed around my eyes, the bruises that were making their way around my collarbone, it would make this so much more real, and I can't deal with that.

The walker pains were coming back. I rushed over to the toilet and heaved up the bagel I'd had for breakfast. The smell curdled the air around me, and I gagged.

I stood over the toilet bowl for a while, waiting for the room to stop spinning. When it did, I wiped my mouth with a washcloth hanging near the sink. I did not look in the mirror. I couldn't.

There was a knocking on the bathroom door. I flung it open, unsurprised that it was Carl. I straightened. "What do you want."

He withdrew, as if he were hurt. His eyes sparked. "Do... Do you need anything?" He stuttered.

Do I need anything? I'd like to let you in, but I'm afraid I'll hurt you. "No." I stated. Then I shut the door, just as Carl was putting his hands up to block it.

I gulped in a deep breath. You had to, I told myself, but it didn't stop the tears from dropping onto the white bathroom tiles. I sat on the black countertop and squeezed my eyes shut.
This is so unfair.

I wanted to go to a tree and climb it, I wanted to sit in its arms without a care in the world. But that reality had slipped away, leaving only bitterness and sickly regret. I will think a final thought, smile a final smile. I felt a bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. It was so cold in here, why was I so sweaty?

My hand traveled up to my forehead, which was as burning hot as a stovetop.

Three days left... Will I even get that?

• Ø • Ø •

After waiting fifteen minutes, I finally deciding on leaving my station in front of the bathroom door.

Dad was waiting downstairs. He smiled at me, trying to figure out what I was thinking, but I put on the best mask that I could.

"Where have you been?" He said worriedly. "Why were you up there?"

The corners of my mouth lifted up a little bit. It was the kind of smile I gave before the shit hit the fan. "I'm fine, Dad."

He patted me on the shoulder and moved on, leaving a track of dirt on the hardwood. No "Coral"? He must be in a bad mood.

I made my way to the kitchen. Kee might want something. But she didn't want me, so maybe not.

I got myself some cereal since we hadn't had breakfast at Enid's house. Sitting on one of the barstools, it suddenly became apparent to me that Ron was mere feet away from me.