Chapter 29

QOTD: Which country are you from? (This is the current map for readers )

QOTD: Which country are you from? (This is the current map for readers ✨)

AOTD: America :)

SOTC: Dangerously by Charlie Puth
You are the fire, I'm gasoline

As we stood in front of the porch door, Kee's hand found mine. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah." I squeezed her fingers as reassurance, even though I could barely feel her from all the adrenaline pumping through my body.

Her eyes buzzed with optimism, in contrast to the crimson flesh smeared on her sheet. She had taken dollops of blood and drawn it across her face like war paint. But I could see the agitation below her facade. She could feel it too: the familiar dread that comes every time the shit's about to hit the fan. I'm not ready for this! I wanted to scream. Can we please go back to when everybody was happy?

The door swung open, and a sea of walkers spread out before us. But... I'm not ready! Jessie's hand tugged me forward.

I looked back at Kee, who gestured for me to face forward again. I analyzed her features, taut with worry. And then I shook my head. I'll look away from you when I die.

Our chain carved through the walkers like a knife. I tried to keep my eyes hooked on Kee's, but they wandered to the horror shows ambling beside us.

I could've sworn that one looked at me. His intestines were spilling out of his chest, bloody strings of flesh decorating the skin like streamers. He gnashed his teeth and I felt my fist tighten. If this didn't work, we were dead meat.

The line came to a sudden stop. I panned around the scene before seeing Sam, terrified and stuck in his tracks. The fear emanated from him painfully. He whimpered, brown hair sticking to his face with sweat. I didn't have time to reassure him before a clawing hand grasped his skull, pulled it backwards and sunk its sharp, blood-crusted teeth into his head.

My mouth hung open. Blood billowed from the wound. He cried out in pain, a piercing scream that penetrated the smoky darkness.

The whole city of walkers turned towards us.

No! I thought frantically. Jessie's hand grew tight on mine, her fingernails digging into my skin. She was crying, and I could see the walkers pivoting towards her. No...

Her face froze with an expression of pure pain, stained with tears and blood. I watched in pure shock as the walkers began to rip the hair from her scalp.

I didn't have enough time to think before people started slashing, yelling, trying to move to safety. We were sitting ducks in a pool of lava. My mind buzzed with panicked thoughts.

Kee tore her hand from mine. I turned, eyes wide with scattered emotions. She pointed at Ron, spewing a string of curse words as he turned off the safety on his pistol.

He cocked it at me. My heart plummeted: I was frozen, trapped in a cage of hunched shadows.

In the moment before he pulled the trigger, I found his eyes. Narrowed in concentration, almost red. My stare fell down to the samurai sword erupting from his chest.

Then time sped up again, and Kee fell backwards into the arms of the earth, a flowering bloom of blood spattering her blue jeans.

She had taken the bullet meant for me.

I let out a resounding yell that whispered against the wind, as if somebody had hit the mute button on the world. I trailed my fingers across her starlit cheek, a gasp passing her lips. "They're coming! Run!" She screamed, and that only made my stomach cinch up.

My mouth was as dry as sandpaper. I hung it open, salty tears falling into my open maw. I shook my head, jerky breaths blocking the words I wanted to say. She was pushing me away, so I gripped the cold, wet flesh on her sheet. "I can't leave you!"

But Michonne pulled me up. I grappled at Kee's stiff shoulders, but she batted my hand off. "Go, Carl, you dumb fuck!"

My face contorted into a desperate mess, tears and snot mingling on my cheeks. "No! I can't leave you!"

Michonne's hand gripped mine, but I would rather die. Kee lifted her head slightly, a weariness in her eyes. She watched me scream, stretching out my hand to grasp something, anything, to tether myself to her.

I watched as the life winked out of her, and her head hit the asphalt.

And then the walkers folded over her lifeless shell.

-------------------------------------------

Chapters left:
4

Word count:
781

Created 4-22-16
Edited 4-24-16
Edited 5-31-16