Chapter 12

A/N: seriously watch the video it's cray

SOTC: Rather Be by Clean Bandit
We're a thousand miles from comfort, we've traveled land and sea. But as long as you are with me, there's no place I'd rather be •

---------------------------------------------

Marshal didn't trust the signs by the railroad tracks. I didn't either, but they had begun to grow on me. I wanted to try it out. The worst thing that could happen is that the group there doesn't like us. In which case we leave.

I was gullible. And so was Marshal. He's always easy to lie to.

•••

After I woke up, I sat up on my bed, which was really a wooden bench.

"Hey, I'm off Judith duty," Carl said, walking up to me from the other side of the barn. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Uh... "No," I said, the drowsiness weighing down on my smile.

"Tag?"

"Sure." I followed Carl out the barn door, buttoning my shirt so that it would keep the heat in.

Frost was creeping along the dirt, little chips of ice from the storm lodged in.

"You're it!" He laughed, darting out into the woods.

"Dammit," I cursed under my breath before rocketing out behind him. He weaved between trees, then he stumbled over a root embedded in the ground.

I curled around where he was, diving under a fallen branch. Then, shooting my arm to the side, I touched his shirt. "YOU'RE IT!"

He cursed under his breath as I rolled backwards, then shot to the left. When I was sure he was far enough away, I began to scale a tree.

"Ha HA!" His fingers grazed my boots. He ran in the other direction, and I jumped down, sprinting after him.

The rising sun watched us as we dashed through the forest. Carl skidded onto a hiking trail and kicked up dust as I followed.

Coughing, I pumped my legs even harder. Carl was inches away from me. I smiled, feeling my lungs work harder to propel myself just that little bit. I stretched out my arm...

Thu-WHUMP.

Carl's shoe latched onto a root. I noticed this too late, falling right on top of him. He laughed as I writhed around, trying to get up.

"Carl, please look where you're going next time."

He chuckled again, pushing up into a sitting position. Then his eyes began to go wide. "What happened to your shoulder?"

I knit my eyebrows, then frowned. "Oh yeah. I got bit. I thought I told you that."

He shook his head. "That's not what I meant." He pointed at my shoulder. I looked down, and my flannel shirt had revealed my bite.

But it was huge. The bruises had spiderwebbed out to cover my entire shoulder. Before long, it would be visible at my collarbone.

"Holy shat." I whispered, and Carl sucked in a breath.

I recovered my stance. "I'm sure these things get worse as they get better."

He nodded. Then a smile snuck up onto his face. "You're it!"

He dashed off into the woods. I half-heartedly followed him, still thinking about my growing bite. I blinked away my tears, biting my lip as we made our way towards the barn. This web of lies could be too thick to tear down.

-----------------------------------------

A/N: sorry for making this such a sucky filler.

I have more plans, don't worry my little fluff nuggets.

Anyway, yah.

QOTD: You can stay in a five star hotel for a week, with a million dollars on your credit card, to any place of your choice, with any person ever (including fictional characters). Where would you pick and who would you bring?
AOTD: Probably Tokyo bc they have a lot of cool stuff everywhere. And the person... I think I have to say... Chandler Riggs. Bc he seems so chill and nice (and hot) and a generally cool guy to be around.

----------------------------------------

Word count:
668

Edited 12-30-15
Edited 3-7-16
Edited 8-3-16