Chapter 7

"Hey mom! What's for dinner?" I greet my mom from behind.

"Fish and chips," she answers, smiling.

"One of my favorites." I grin widely. "Thanks mom."

I walk to the living room and see my dad reading the newspaper. When my dad's eyes fall on me, he instantly put down his newspaper.

"Hey sweetheart, how's school?"

"Same old, same old," I answer.

"Come here."

I approach my dad and sit beside him.

"Look, I knew about your break up. Your brother told us the night you locked yourself in the room. We didn't mention it to you because we were just trying to give you space. Not that we didn't care about you." He let out a sigh.

"I know dad. I understand. Thanks a lot. I really need it." I reassure my dad with a small smile.

"Can I give you a piece of advice?" he asks.

"Sure. Why not?"

"Date a boy who makes you happy, but marry him if only he makes you laugh deep-belly rumbles that hurt your ribs as they expand outwards. Date him when he sees that you're hurting and he gives you a moment to feel that pain like a handprint spreading across your consciousness, marry him if he can make you smile even while you're gross sobbing. The world is not a kind place. You will feel a lot of pain. Make sure you are with someone who makes it all bearable. Humor is an excellent gauge of intelligence. Life gets boring. Find someone who makes the banal interesting."

"Dad ... where did you get it?" I ask curiously. I swear I've heard that advice somewhere.

"Get what?" he asks innocently.

"Get that advice," I say in a 'duh' tone.

"It just popped into my head a minute ago."

"Dad?" I narrow my eyes.

"Okay, fine! Maybe I've been surfing the internet a little. You know, you're my only daughter. I just wanted to give you the best advice." He grins sheepishly. "After all, it was a good advice right? You need to remember it and keep it in your mind for all your life to find the right man. David wasn't the right guy. You just have to open your eyes and soon you'll find your soulmate. Like I did with your mom."

"Yeah, I know. You've been telling me that story for my whole life." I roll my eyes with a smile tugs on my lips. "You saw mom at the school, a minute later she bumped into you, then both of you fell in love. After you got a job, you married her, right?"

"Right. You just have to listen to your heart's voice, El. It will tell you if he's the right person."

"Dad, I just broke up. I don't think I'll ever fall in love with someone again." I sigh. Plus, since when did you become Dr. Love?" I form a full grin, trying to change the subject.

"Since someone broke my daughter's heart." My dad clenches his fists.

"Dad, don't. I'm okay, really. I'm gonna be fine. You don't have to worry about me."