Chapter 9

"El, can you please get the door?" my mom asks me.

"Okay mom!" I shout from the living room. He's here. I've texted him my address an hour ago.

I open the door and let him walk into my house.

"You look even worse when you're at home." He smirks.

Sure, I just put on a black T-shirt with a cute little bear printed on it and black leggings, but he doesn't have the right to judge my fashion sense! Plus, who on Earth dresses up just to eat dinner and watch a movie in her own house?!

"And you look like you just got hit by a bus," I reply with a smug face, remembering what he said this morning.

The truth is, I'm drooling over his hot body. He's wearing a tight black v-neck that shows off every muscle in his torso. I'm pretty sure he has six-pack with that killer body. Snap out of it, Elisa! I'm lucky he doesn't notice the saliva that flows out of my mouth, metaphorically of course.

"Auch, I'm hurt, buttercup," he says, faking a sad voice while touching his chests.

"Whatever." I roll my eyes. "Dinner's ready."

He follows me to the kitchen and I can sense his nervousness. A devilish smirk tugs on my lips as an idea pops into my head.

I'm lucky that I'm good at acting and lying. I fake a serious face while saying, "Dean, my dad is a very stern man. He was actually a soldier. He was fired after he had broken his mate's hands because the guy made him angry. So the rule here is simple: don't make him angry. Don't even meet his eyes when you're talking to him. And the most important thing — pray before we eat dinner.  The guest is the one who must start the prayer. He hates people who just eat without praying."

Dean tries to appear unaffected by my words but his shaken hands seem to prove the opposite. I resist the temptation to laugh at his pale face.

"Come on. Let's go," I say, giving him a pity smile.

"Wait a minute. I think I left my phone in the car. I'm going to get it back." He chuckles nervously.

"No! Don't make him wait, Dean. He hates it when someone is late," I say in a serious tone.

He bulges his eyes in fear and immediately says, "Okay, let's go!"

My mom, dad and brother are already at the dining table.

"So you're Dean, a friend of El, right?" my mom asks with a smile.

"Y-yes," Dean stutters. Oh God, I've never thought this moment would happen. I fake a cough to prevent myself from laughing.

"Here." My mom who seems to buy my act like everyone else hands me a glass of water.

I drink it in a gulp and say, "Thanks mom."

"So, let's eat." My mom grins at all of us. Thanks God my dad is still being quiet and doesn't active his friendly mode yet, or else my lies would have been blown.

"God is great, and God is good, and we thank him for our food; By his hand we all are fed; Give us, Lord, our daily bread. Amen," Dean prays while closing his eyes.

When he opens his eyes, he is startled to see my mom, dad and brother's mouths hang open in surprise.

"Wow, Dean, no offense, but I didn't take you for a religious person," my brother says with his mouth wide open. "We've never prayed before we eat, but maybe we should follow your footsteps after this."