chapter 1

I didn't bother to spare a glance around the now empty apartment. The time I spent here and the job meant nothing, it's time to move on to the next. 

This new assignment was different that the usual in-and-out gig I usually took. This time, instead of bringing chaos and blood, I would bring protection and solace. It's not unusual for people in our agency to protect individuals, but I have never been considered for the task. My reputation precedes me, in the agency and throughout the world.

This new assignment is a major player in the human world - known for owning multiple companies, promoting charities, and one of the first men to implement an all sustainable energy source for his hotels. The humans know he commands respect and authority, but what they don't know is that he is a werewolf, and in the supernatural world he is known as the Crown Alpha - the ruler of our species. 

I walked out of the apartment and left the key under the mat, the next agent to be assigned here will use the space. Outside it was pouring rain, it would be fitting weather if I was actually sad to leave this town. Hovering by my car I watched as a man with a large duffle approached the apartment building. We locked eyes and he nodded at me. Well that was fast, I thought. Getting in the car I plugged the address into the GPS and started the eleven-hour drive to Riverdale, New York. The home of the Crown Alpha. 

Four hours into the drive I let my mind wander, which I rarely did because it was pointless to think on the past. The one memory I can't seem to move past trickled on in. The day the director told me my parents had been murdered while on an assignment. It was the day that changed my life forever. I can still feel the buckle in my legs and how hard the ground was when I collapsed onto it. There were no tears, just one thought, vengeance. That day I asked the director to train me, to make me strong, to make me fearless, because one day I would kill those who dared to take what was mine. So many moments from then on helped to shape who I am today. But those memories and those moments have no use now, they're just useless thoughts in your brain that cause distraction - something you couldn't afford in this line of work. 

I pushed those thoughts out of my head, there was no point on dwelling on the past, my parents are gone and this is the life I had chosen. Time to focus, I pressed a button on the car display and Diane's voice recording filled the space. I had asked her to make me a recording of the information contained in the file so I could review before my arrival. I had memorized the information days ago, but it's comforting to hear it again. 

A few hours later and I had finally arrived. The town was quiet, but given that it was eleven o'clock at night on a Tuesday, I wasn't worried. I had visited over the weekend to check on the status of the house, and even I could admit that it was a charming town. Charming as it was, it was clear that this place screamed "wealth," practically throwing it in your face. From the shops and restaurants, to the houses and schools,  even the playgrounds screamed "money." Somehow even through the expensive exterior, the town still gave off a quaint and belonging atmosphere. But it was clear that this town was for werewolves only, about nine thousand people lived here and ninety percent were werewolves, with the remaining being the human mates. This was no doubt the biggest werewolf town in the United States, and for good reason too. Werewolves are drawn to power and status, and what better way to achieve that than to live in the same place as the Crown Alpha?  

It was another fifteen minutes before I reached the gate to get into the private community. Pulling up to the gates I frowned, there was no guard on duty, or at least not at his post. Then I noticed the sign saying that they were there from 6 A.M. to 10 P.M. Morons, I thought. It is absolutely essential to have guards on watch at night because that was when most attacks occur. Thank Goddess I had the brains this bunch didn't and had a camera installed at the corner of the gate entrance over the weekend.