Chapter 34

"Well I have to say I never thought red would look good on you but you pull it off very nicely." Ayla grinned from her spot on the bed looking into the bathroom as I dried my new hair.

"Gee thanks." I deadpanned. I ran my fingers through it missing its length. It was only about to my shoulders now but the red did look nice.

"You kinda remind me of Black Widow." She said grinning.

"Pardon?" I turned to her. "I remind you of a spider?" She laughed so hard she fell back on the bed and I felt like a missed a monumental joke.

"No! The marvel character! She's a badass assassin and has red hair! You look like her and you have the same job description." She explained the concept but I guess I just didn't see the humor.

"So I'm leaving for work, I didn't think it was fair to leave you cooped in here again with just the TV so I picked up a few things yesterday." I pulled out a bag from the closet and handed it to her.

"No way an xbox? Thanks!" She may be this all powerful witch but she was still a teenager.

"Not a problem. There's some books in there too." When I left she was hooking the system up to the TV, books forgotten about.

Walking into the building the security desk eyed me warily until I scanned my badge allowing me access to the elevator, it was all smiles from there. Once in the elevator I scanned the badge again and a new set of buttons revealed themselves. Pressing G37, the elevator made a slight shake before descending down below the streets of the city.

Upon opening I was greeted by a smiling young face of whom I memorized to be my assistant. Before I could even open my mouth she was talking a mile a minute.

"Good morning, you must be Dr. Evans! Well of course you're Dr. Evans who else would you be? I'm your assistant Molly. Mr. Walters would like a brief meeting with you this morning and then we'll take a quick tour of the building and I'll show you the lab, introduce you to the subjects and then I'll let you get to work! Would you like any coffee before the meeting?" She asked smiling so wide I thought to ask if there was any coffee left or had she drank the whole building dry.

"No thank you." She nodded before leading me down turn after turn that I was grateful I had memorized the building plans.

"I'll wait out here for you." She smiled before pulling the door open.

I walked in and the door shut behind me. The man standing before me would intimate lesser beings but unfortunately for him I wasn't one of them.

"Good morning Dr. Evans. I've heard wonderful things about you from Dr. Porter and I must say your work is quite impressive, it was no question who was to be hired in her place when she was transferred." He played the kind boss act very well but I knew better. I read his file and I knew what kind of place he was running.

"I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to getting to work." He nodded and I took that as my dismissal. Before I reached the door he called out my name and I turned.

"One last thing. I'm not sure how she managed it, Dr. Porter I mean, but when you start working for my company you learn things that I can't afford to have get out to others so you're here for life. You're mine." The way he said "You're mine" only served as a challenge. I'm mated to an alpha, if and that's a big if, I belong to anyone it's Tristan. But I needed to be smart. They can't know I'm a wolf so shoving down the impulse to growl and prove my dominance, I nodded and continued on my way out.

Molly was waiting on the other side for me just like she said and I didn't miss the flash of relief pass through her eyes.

"He can be quite the scary man, I'm glad you're alright." She said quietly glancing back at the door as if he could hear us, then she plastered that smile back on and took me down to the lab.