chapter 21

Antonio showed me back to the dungeon.

"One question." I said.

"Alright, I guess it wouldn't hurt to humor you."

"Why do you want to me stay with you if he doesn't come find me? Why not kill me? Why not kill me if you do kill him? Why me in the first place, why not one of his family?" I asked.

"That's more than one question." He said and I just looked at him pointedly.

"I didn't take one of his family because I didn't think that would motivate him enough. Yes, I'm sure he would do everything he could to find someone in his family but with you he'd kill himself turning over every rock. And I picked you for selfish reasons also. You're beautiful and strong and capable. And just.. a lot like my mate. I lost her about fifty years ago, rogues attacked and she got caught in the crossfire." He looked pained, I almost felt sorry for him but then reminded myself he wants me to replace her and that thought went out the window. I would do whatever it takes to get Tristan out of here and keep him safe, so if that meant playing house with a sociopath then I would, but I refused to feel anything but anger and resentment towards him the entire time I'm here.

"Here we are my dear." He opened the door and followed me down the stairs. When I approached the cell I almost turned around and killed Antonio on the spot.

"What the hell!" I ripped open the door and ran over to Tristan shoving tweedle dee and tweedle dumb out of the way.

"Language." Antonio berated me.

"Are you okay?" I asked brushing back the blood-matted hair from his face.

"Fine." He spat out blood.

"Can I at least have a minute alone with him?" I asked. Antonio sighed as if it was the most trivial thing in the world, "One minute." And then him and his henchmen left.

"You're leaving." I told him and he looked at me curiously.

"What?"

"You're leaving." I repeated looking him over to see how bad the damage was.

"He's letting us go?"

"No. Just you."

"What! No I'm not leaving you." He snarled and clutched my wrist tightly.

"I made a deal with him. I stay and you go free, but Tristan you can't come look for me or he'll kill you. You're only safe as long as you don't try and find me."

"Of course I'll find you." He said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You can't. I can't keep you safe if you look for me."

"I don't care about me. I will find you."

"Tristan you don't understand. It's my job to keep you safe. My actual job and my job as your mate. I will do whatever it takes. I will keep you safe. I will always keep you safe." I smiled at him, my heart was in my throat I couldn't talk anymore and we had run out of time.

"Don't look for me okay." I brushed my hand over his cheek and back around to his neck where I injected him. He slumped over, his head was in my lap.

I smiled sadly, "I love you."

"Alright time for him to go." Antonio said coming back down the stairs. The two men came and took Tristan.

"Be careful with him!" I hissed when they accidentally banged his head on the cell door. Although it probably wasn't an accident. When they were upstairs and out of sight I turned to Antonio.