chapter 5

I won't lie, going back to school was a drag. By Friday I was bored out of my mind and had shown up a professor on two different occasions, so I definitely wasn't getting brownie points with them. Leaving the last class of the day on Friday was a giant relief. Stacey threw the doors open and twirled around, guess she was relieved too.  

It was particularly warm day for being the end of August, and people were definitely taking advantage of the weather. Students were lounging under trees in the shade, a handful of guys were playing football on the lawn, and the campus coffee cart had a line a mile long. Stacey and I headed to the parking lot making small talk along the way. 

"Hey Stacey, just a heads up that I probably won't be here for class on Monday. Would it be alright if I copied your notes?" I didn't need them but felt like it was the appropriate response when missing class.  

"Sure thing, I'll make sure to really pay attention. Where are going?" She titled her head curiously.

"I'm going away this weekend and haven't decided if I'm coming back Sunday or Monday." I explained as we got into my car.

"Okay, but Tristan isn't going to like that you're leaving town and didn't tell him. Where are you going?" She questioned as she buckled in. 

"First, Tristan is not my keeper. Second, I'm just going to visit some friends from my hometown." I wanted to be done discussing the matter but Stacey was clearly concerned.

"You should at least tell him where you're going, or at a minimum that you're leaving. I think it would be better you tell him before you leave, rather than finding out when you're gone." I know she meant well, but I didn't need a lecture on how I handle my choices. Besides, by telling her I'm leaving town was a subtle way to tell Tristan. Because I have no doubts that when I drop her off she will run to Tristan straight away and tell him I'm leaving.  

"I'll think about it." But I probably wouldn't. So instead I changed the subject, "What are you up to this weekend?" And she let it slide as she began telling me her plans with Jace for Saturday. 

When we got to her house she urged me to come instead and tell Tristan I was leaving, but I was already running late. And I knew for a fact if I went inside and talked to Tristan it would end up in a fight that I really did not have time for. So, instead I let her out and drove home to get my things. 

I tossed two duffles in the backseat and checked the folder to make sure my ticket and passport were inside. Confirming everything was good-to-go, I headed to the airport. I parked and quickly made my way inside. I headed straight pass the security check point, nodding at one of the agents, and smirked at the people complaining that I had cut the line. A woman opened a set of doors to the runway and I jogged to the private jet that was waiting. 

When I walked on immediately saw the girls sitting in the seats, clearly waiting for me to arrive. I hated being the last one to arrive. I dropped my bags to the seat on my right and nodded to the girls in acknowledgment. 

"So, why are here Emma?" Nikki turned her chair to face me directly. She was always the bravest out of the three when it came to speaking up. They all knew that I was in charge and that I would terminate them immediately if a job went sideways because of one of their mistakes - which is why they went from a four man team, to three. 

"We have an assignment." I connected to the wifi and projected my laptop screen on the tv mounted to the wall. 

"Obviously." Nikki rolled her eyes. Lexi and Claire both kicked at her ankle to shut her up. While they were scared of being reprimanded for attitude, Nikki was not. Her boldness was actually the reason she made the team. While I wouldn't trust these girls with my life, something only allotted to a handful of people, I knew their loyalty was to me alone. So while this group of women wouldn't take a bullet for the other, I did trust them to have each other's backs on assignments. And in this line of work, it was the most I could ask for.