chapter 30

I was surprised by how quickly the fair was coming together, and how well it was going. It was Thursday and we were opening the fair tomorrow night and it would continue on through Sunday.

Stacey has just been a lifesaver the past few weeks. There's no way I could have done all this without her. She was scaring the crap out of everyone but at least it was coming together.

A lot of the wolves had showed up earlier in the week. I was surprised how many alphas came. It was dangerous for this many dominant wolves to be together in one place but they were behaving quite well.

Only one incident occurred when one alpha looked at another's mate. Things got out of hand quickly but after Tristan stepped in all the wolves knew their place. And when Diana said she wouldn't tolerate any violence, well there hasn't been any more conflict since that.

 Some alphas didn't think they could handle being around so many dominants without losing control so they sent other wolves in their place. So overall there was a huge turn out.

It turns out that the fair had helped many wolves find their mates. Packs from all over the world were here, it would have been strange if some hadn't found their mates, but lucky quite a lot had.

Tristan's self control was hanging on by a thread. All of these wolves, a lot of them dominant were in his town and near me. It was pushing him over the edge. He refused to leave my side and even though he knew it irritated me, his wolf refused to leave me unprotected. Even when the wolves bowed and showed their necks in submission it wasn't enough. He growled and occasionally nipped at someone's neck just to prove he was in charge. But I had to give him credit. He let me go outside and meet the new wolves even though him and his wolf wanted to keep me barred in the house and away from everyone.

We were on our way to the diner to have breakfast with Sophie and Collin. They had flown in yesterday afternoon but I knew that they were avoiding us. Well not us, but Tristan specifically. They knew he was still angry for hiding me but I wanted to see Sophie and since I wasn't allowed out of his sight he had to come. I promised that he would be on his best behavior, which wasn't saying much at this point, but still it gave them a little comfort knowing that they weren't heading to their death sentence.

When we walked into the diner it was packed. I guess that's what happens when you invite thousands of wolves to your town. Maybe calling it a town wasn't right. It was bigger than a town but smaller than a small city. There was plenty of room for everyone and plenty of places to eat, just this place happened to serve the best pancakes and eggs in the whole place.

I saw Sophie and Collin sitting in the back corner booth. She saw us and jumped up. She walked quickly towards us arms open for a hug but faltered slightly as she glanced at Tristan. When I looked back whatever she had seen was gone and he was annoyed, looking at all of the other wolves that bowed their heads before going back to eating. I met her the rest of the way and hugged her tightly.

"He's not gonna hurt you." I promised her quietly and she nodded. She bowed her head to him but he didn't move so I lightly slapped his arm and jerked my head in her direction.

He narrowed his eyes but relented, "Hello Sophie, how was your flight?"

"It was fine thank you. Come sit down, we were waiting to order." She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the table. I got in the booth first and Tristan slid in next to me. Collin gulped and bowed his head, to afraid to meet Tristan's eyes.

I looked up at Tristan, my eyes pleading. These two were family to me and I didn't want them frightened for their lives anymore. He looked at me, his eyes hard. And then he growled in frustration. Silencing the entire place. He glanced around and everyone went back to what they were doing.