chapter 10

We arrived back home early Monday morning from our "weekend away" in Australia, which really just consisted of him going to meetings while me and Sophie hung out on the beach. We were in the car heading back home, it was quiet. I was on my phone texting Nikki for an update about Antonio, and Tristan was driving.

"I'm sorry about this weekend." He started and I was confused.

"Sorry about what?" I glanced up from my phone to look at him.  

"I was at meetings the entire time, we barely saw each other. I told you we would be together all weekend and I feel like I let you down." He looked upset that he "disappointed" me.

"Oh no, it's fine. You're busy I understand. No hard feelings." I meant it too, with him at meetings, I could listen in and get information about who they thought was responsible for all the attacks. Plus, if we actually had to spend a weekend together I wouldn't know what to say, I didn't wanna lead the guy on, only to leave forever when the assignment was completed.

"It's not fine, I promise we will go away sometime soon. It'll probably have to be after Stacey's birthday though." He mused to himself more than to me .

"Her birthday?" Once again I was puzzled.

"Yeah, it's coming up at the end November" he told me, turning into town.

"It's the beginning of October." I furrowed my brows.

"Birthday's are a big deal in our family. We usually go all out, and this is her twenty first birthday so it's gonna be even bigger than usual. Actually she's probably already started planning it, I'm surprised she hasn't asked you for help yet." He said smiling when he saw my grimace.

"Don't worry, if she does rope you into it, I'm sure you'll have fun. Two months of non-stop Stacey, what could be better!" He teased, laughing when I shrunk down further in my seat.

"How about some goods news? We're home." He said and at that I sat up, noticing that we were indeed in my driveway.

"Thank God." I mumbled and hopped out. I walked around to the back to get my bag, only to see Tristan already holding it. I reached for it and he held it away. I raised an eyebrow.

"I really am sorry about this weekend." He said, and I sighed. Didn't we just do this I thought?

"I already told you. It's fine. Besides, I like the snow way better than the beach." I kissed him on the cheek and went to turn away but he grabbed my wrist and I looked at him. But he wasn't looking at me, he was looking at my lips. I sighed, well it's not like I can avoid it forever. I stood on my tiptoes and pressed my lips against his. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer, I let my bag fall to the ground. He licked my bottom lip, asking for entrance. I smiled and parted my lips. He wasted no time in exploring every inch of my mouth. Who knows how long we stood there kissing, it could have minutes or hours. It didn't matter. Because in that moment I didn't worry about my feelings getting in the way, or what would happen when the assignment was over. What mattered was being here, right now.

"Don't you guys need air?" Someone shouted and we broke apart. I slipped my hand from out under his shirt wondering when it got there. Tristan ran his hand through his hair and turned towards the sound of the voice. Jace was in his car at the bottom of my driveway. We waved and he drove away, laughing to himself.

I turned back to Tristan, "I'll see you later." I picked my bag up off the ground from where I dropped it. He waited until I was inside before he drove off. I trudged upstairs into my office. I sat down and got ready to call Nikki but I was just so stiff from the plane ride that I grabbed the phone and headed into the yoga studio.