chapter 7

It was the first week of September, meaning I've officially been in this town for two months. And I was no closer to learning who wanted Tristan dead than when I first arrived. It was beyond frustrating.

I sent the team to Italy last week and have yet to receive and update. An entire week without contact? Something may have gone wrong. On the plus side, Tristan is out of town for a few days on a business so hopefully I can get some work done. 

I called Stacey and gave her the excuse that I was sick with the flu so she would give me some space. She fought hard to bring me some soup but when I brought up vomiting she quickly let it go and wished me well. Once I was satisfied she wouldn't come near the house the rest of the week, I was in the car and heading to the airport. 

It was a long flight but that gave me time to check in with the agents assigned to Tristan for the week. I couldn't leave him unprotected so the agency placed a few temps at the company and two others to take shifts watching him. Once I was satisfied with their report I called Nikki and told her the rendezvous point. 

Four hours later I was in their hotel suite glaring at all three of them. They were sitting across from me glancing at each other in confusion when Nikki finally had the guts to speak. 

"Is everything okay? You never show up on assignments. And you said this one could blow your cover." She pointed out. 

"Yes, but I've never had to wait an entire week for information, especially after I was promised a quick deliver. And the fact that I'm here should reenforce how important this assignment is, and maybe make you concerned that I feel you're unfit for the job." I snapped at her and she averted her gaze. 

"Now, if you three are done asking questions," I glared at Nikki who still wouldn't meet my eyes, "I want an update on the assignment and a good excuse for the delay." 

"Antonio's personal assistant had an unfortunate accident a few days ago. Fortunately, Lexi had the qualifications." Claire began. 

"I hope you cleaned up well." I glanced at Claire and she nodded.

"Good. What else?" I accepted the file Lexi handed over. 

"As his assistant, Lexi has access to all of his accounts, schedules, and records. We ran a background check on his business associates which all came back clear. He had a meeting with an Alpha yesterday but it was just about territory lines. The only thing that stands out is the hundred thousand dollar withdrawal from two weeks ago. But it was funneled into an off shore account under a business that doesn't exist, so we're not sure who he paid but we're looking into it." Nikki pulled his bank statements on the her laptop and turned it my way. 

"So we have nothing." I snapped at them and threw the folder. "Dammit! I need a lead!" I growled and began pacing the room. The instinctively took a step back. 

"We are working on it. We'll get you something soon." I didn't care for her reassurances at the moment. 

"I need it now. We're losing time." I shouted in frustration and threw my phone against the wall. Great, now I need to take care of that. 

"Why is this so important?" Lexi inquired. You would think they would have learned about asking questions by now. 

"It just is. So work harder." I snapped at her and took a deep breath. Getting angry at them wouldn't get me answers faster. 

"Nikki, I need you to get his schedule for tomorrow. I don't have a lot of time here and I'd like to see Antonio in person for myself." She nodded and went to find Lexi's work laptop.

"Claire, I need you to go get me a new phone. Sorry." She nodded and left for the store.

"Lexi," I sat down in a chair, ""I need you to tell me everything you've observed about Antonio - his mannerisms and body language, who does he trust and who does he lie too, his likes and dislikes - go."