chapter 25

After leaving Tristan asleep in bed I snuck down the street to my house, not even bothering to change out of my so called pajamas. I stuck to the shadows. It was two in the morning in the middle of the week but I couldn't risk someone seeing me and alerting Tristan.

I slipped into my house, keeping the lights off. I ran upstairs and pulled on a pair of jeans and boots, leaving on his t-shirt, and grabbing the leather jacket that Stacey had gotten for me for Christmas.

I headed down to the basement, into the weapons room. I grabbed my emergency duffle. It was filled with everything needed for a quick get away in case anything ever happened. It had multiple changes of clothes, hair dye, cash, passports, weapons, a burner phone, bag of safety deposits box keys, and the newest addition, a picture of Tristan and I from Christmas. We had just opened each other's gifts and realized we had the same thing engraved. We were smiling at one another, the blush evident on our faces. It was something I quickly came to cherish.

I grabbed the bag and raced back upstairs. I couldn't waist time. If Tristan happened to wake up and see I'm gone. Well then I'd never get out of the town. I grabbed the keys to my black Nissan GTR. It was in the garage, hidden under a cover. It was made for speed, stealth, and times like this. I tossed the duffle in the passenger seat and sped out of the driveway.

I was in D.C. by morning. I pulled into the underground garage, leaving the bag in the car. I wouldn't be staying. I headed up the elevator to the top floor. I passed people in the halls and they gave me a wide berth. I passed by the training room and paused to watch the recruits. Some needed more work then others. It was easy to see who would survive out in the field and who would not. I continued to the director's office. His secretary saw me coming and beeped me in. I paused outside his door before finally going in.  

He looked up from his laptop and raised an eyebrow. He was handsome for his age. About forty but looked more in his early thirties with his light blonde hair and hazel eyes. He was about six foot two and could pack quite the punch. After my parents died he was the closest thing to family I had.

"I can honestly say I'm surprised to see you. When I said soon I meant a few weeks, not the very next day." The corner of his mouth rose into a smile but his eyes were sad.

"Emma, are you sure this is what you want? You could leave and go back right now and just tell him that you had to take care of something. You could start a life, a family with him." And I could see in his eyes that that's all he wanted for me. He wanted what a father wanted for his daughter.

"I can't. He deserves better and without me he can find it." I saw in his eyes that he didn't believe it but said nothing.

"I'm heading to Australia. Send all assignments to my computer. If anyone contacts you to find out where I am, and I'm sure someone will, he's got unlimited resources, you-"

"Don't know where she is." He finished and I smiled sadly.

"I better go, my flight leaves soon." I was almost out his office door.

"Emma." I turned and looked at him.

"You're like a daughter to me, I'd do anything for you. If you ever want out, rules be damned, I'll get you out. You just say the word, okay?" I quickly walked out. I didn't need that temptation. 

My flight didn't actually leave until later that day but I couldn't stay and have him talk me into going back. I hid in a corner of the airport until my flight. I knew, knew, that Tristan didn't know where I was but I couldn't risk being caught by anyone who would tell him where I was.

The entire flight all I could think about was the look that I knew would be on his face when he woke and I wasn't there. Pure devastation and betrayal. I could visualize the hurt and pain in his eyes. I knew he would feel the stabbing heartache in his chest, the same as my own.