chapter 14

When I showed up to their house a half hour later I was changed out of the dress and my gun was fully visible. There was no point in hiding it now. I walked in and made my way to the living room. They were all sitting on the couches by the fireplace. The fire gave the room an eerie glow. They all turned to me when I walked in. I didn't get any closer than I had to. No one said anything for a while, we just looked at each other. Tristan stepped forward, his eyes were clouded, I couldn't tell what he was thinking but judging by the looks of everyone else, they felt hurt and confused.

"I don't-" he ran a hand down his face. "what- I just-" he couldn't get a full sentence out.

"I work for an agency. I was assigned to come here and protect you." They looked shocked, well obviously that wasn't what they thought was going on.

"Protect me from what?" He looked bewildered.

"Over the past few years there has been an increase in attempts on your life. I was hired to make sure you stay alive." He raised an eyebrow.

"Who hired you?" He looked at his family and they shook their heads.

"That's classified. All you need to know is that I have people following leads and in the mean time, you're safe." I said and crossed my arms when he narrowed his eyes.

"Safe? Safe?! Were you not there an hour ago when people attacked us!" He shouted at me.

"That was a mistake. The person who was on watch and should have warned me has been taken care of." I informed him. Personally taken care of, I flexed my hand.

"I still don't understand, what exactly do you do?" He asked and everyone looked at me waiting for an explanation.

"The agency...does a number of things. We handle kidnappings, protecting, trafficking, anything with the supernatural, all sorts of things." Their eyes bugged out of their heads.

"So you protect people." He said slowly and looked at my gun.

"No. That's not what I do." And he cut in "But you said that's why you're here."

"Yes that's why I'm here, but it's not usually my area of.. expertise." I said carefully.

"Then what do you do?" He asked, his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"I'm an assassin." I looked them with guarded eyes. They looked horrified and I couldn't stop the hurt I felt by the looks on their faces.

"So you kill people. That's just great, my mate's an assassin, how wond-" he stopped and looked at me with betrayal in his eyes.

"Are we even mates? Or did you do something to me to make me think that!" He accused.

"We're mates. I didn't just get this job because I'm the best at what I do, they decided it would be easiest for me to befriend you all because we're mates and you wouldn't turn me away." I saw a glimpse of relief flash through his eyes but it was gone in a second, replaced quickly again by anger. Stacey sniffled and I realized she was crying. Her birthday party was ruined and now she's finding out her "best friend" is a fraud. I could understand being upset.

"This isn't the first time we've seen each other." He looked at me questioningly and I gave him a sad smile.

"I was there a few years ago at your coronation ceremony when you officially became the crown alpha. You walked in and immediately looked my way. I was pretending to be the daughter of a beta, I was there to get information on another attending alpha. As soon as you looked at me I knew who you were, how special you were to me. After that the director had me placed in situations where they knew you'd be, they wanted to make sure that we really were mates and it wasn't a fluke. Being the crown alpha's mate is kind of a big deal. Every time you would look my way, so they knew that I hadn't made a mistake, we were mates." He looked me, his eyes unreadable. I continued.