Chapter 38

Leaving Tristan's cell, I walked across the hall to glance into Ayla's only to find her still strapped down to the table, unconscious.

"She better wake up soon." I whispered as an annoying ringtone started to echo throughout the hall. My eye twitched when I realized it was the ringtone for my assistant.

"Yes Molly?" I asked her with a slight huff of annoyance.

"Mr. Walters would like to see you in his office right away." The tone of her voice made it seemed urgent enough that my wolf instantly became alert.

"I'll head there right now, thank you." I hung up the phone and made my way to the doors, hesitating before opening them. I briefly glanced back at the row of cells.

"What have I got myself into?" I groaned and scanned my badge exiting the area.

As I made my way to Walters' office, I tried to come up with different solutions to the current problem we were facing. The thing was though, I couldn't figure out how to get everyone out and destroy the place too. It was one or other. And I knew which one I'd pick.

When I finally got to his office his assistant nodded to me and buzzed me in.

"Mr. Walters has been expecting you." She smiled at me as I walked by. I just side eyed her. Of course he's been expecting me. You're probably the one who called my assistant to tell me to come up here.

"Dr. Evans, this is the moment we've been dreaming of." He swirled in his chair to face me and I swear I could have bashed my head against the door. Swirling in chairs? Evil phrases? Is he trying to check off the villain clichés here?

"Yes sir, it's a wonderful opportunity. How should we proceed?" I asked him, playing the roll of enthusiastic doctor.

"We can't take the chance that she'll escape, which given how she's avoided capture for years, we know she will attempt given the first opportunity." He pondered his thoughts for a moment and glanced at me.

"We've developed a machine, something that Dr. Porter wasn't necessarily comfortable with but nevertheless contributed to. It will contain Ayla's powers, long enough to be transferred to another person." He grinned proudly at this and it took every bit of self-restraint I had not to lunge across the desk and rip him apart.

"I understand sir. When shall we begin?" I have to get back to Ayla, and fast.

"As soon as she is conscious you will take her to the lab. We will be waiting." And with a wave of his hand he dismissed me.

I got up and nearly sprinted to my office. I had snuck in over the last few days to smuggle in a few weapons past the detectors at check in. I shoved a glock in the back of my waist ban and hurried back to the subject wing. When the doors opened I threw composure out the window and ran to Ayla's cell. Relief washed over me to see that she was awake, even if she was glaring at her restraints.

I scanned my way into her cell and the panic-stricken look on my face must have been enough warning because she quit fussing with the restraints, that I am sure she easily could have gotten out of, and asked what was going on.

"They want to take you to the machine." I told her.

"Now?" She asked. And I didn't miss the way her lip trembled when she spoke.

"No next July, yes right now!" I snapped at her.

"What do we do?" She looked at me with tears starting to swell up in her eyes and I did feel a tinge of guilt. It was easy to forget that she was still just a kid. All her powers made her seem invincible but she was just a teenager who wanted her own life and she didn't deserve all of this. But there were people relying on us so I shoved the guilt aside.