Prologue

He stood alone on the mountain side. Overlooking the desolate landscape. Everything was destroyed. The sky was black, the trees and grass were dead.

In the distance a small band of orcs moved across the land. Ever since Sauron took over the orcs traveled wherever and whenever they wished. They had become stronger and much more powerful than before.

"I thought I'd find you here." a gruff voice sounded from a cave in the side of the mountain. The man turned and saw his friend walk out of the cave and approach him.

"I just needed some air. Has Eomer returned yet?" he asked hopefully. His friend shook his head. 
"Not yet. I'm sure he will soon though."

He noticed the longbow that the man held in his hand.
"Is everything alright?"
The man sighed. "It should have been me. He didn't deserve to die."

"We can't change the past Aragorn."
"I know Gimli." he turned away from his friend and stared off into the distance.

"I still feel like there is more I could have done. For Legolas, for Pippin..." his voice trailed off as he thought of his friends.
"The hobbits know that it wasn't your fault, they do not blame you."

Aragorn turned back to him.
"You've been a great friend Gimli. I don't know what any of us would do without you."

The dwarf smiled.
"If it wasn't for me we'd still be hiding under Minas Tirith waiting for orcs to kill us."

"It's not like we're not doing that now." Aragorn replied with a sigh. 
"I know things are bad Aragorn, but there is still hope."
"I fear that all hope is lost."
"Legolas wouldn't want you to give up hope. Neither would Pippin or Gandalf."

Aragorn felt a pang of sadness of being reminded of those they had lost. Theodred had fallen, Pippin, Gandalf, Legolas, even Boromir, who had been his friend before the ring corrupted him.

"Come on Aragorn," Gimli urged looking up at the sky, "let's get inside. It looks like it's about to rain."

"I have forgotten what is like to have weather besides darkness and storms."

Gimli nodded. 
"I understand lad. I understand perfectly well."