Chapter 14: Amarth

They brought Legolas to the very top of Barad-Dur. Instead of seeing Sauron like he had expected, he saw Amarth.

The elf waved the orcs away.

"Leave us."

The orcs obeyed and disappeared back into the tower. Legolas and Amarth were alone.

The two studied one another. They could easily pass for brothers, Legolas was just a bit shorter than Amarth but not by that much. And Amarth's face was just a little more narrow than Legolas', but it was hardly noticeable.

Another difference was their hair. Amarth's was long and black while Legolas's was golden..

The final similarity was their eyes. Both were blue but Amarth's had this strange glow about them that sent a shiver down Legolas' spine.

For awhile neither said nothing. Amarth took out a strange, black dagger and began to inspect in his hands.

"This is a fine blade. One forged from darkness and hate."

He held it up and glanced at Legolas.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

Legolas looked at the dagger. It was like a Morgul blade but it seemed darker, if that was even possible.

Amarth put the dagger back into it's sheath and walked over to Legolas.

"You are aware that I was created to rival you, yes?"

Legolas narrowed his eyes.

"No. I was not."
"You should be proud. You have caused Sauron to worry. He fears you, and you could probably take the ring if you tried."

Legolas had no idea what game Amarth was playing at.

"He's tried several times to get rid of you," Amarth continued, "over and over again. Plan after plan failed. You slay every enemy that crosses your path."

Legolas looked at Amarth skeptically. "What do you want Amarth?"

Legolas' was beginning to get tired of Amarth's ramblings.

"What I was trying to say, is that you can't be stopped. Sauron knew he had to create something that could match you, and the result was me."

"Am I supposed to feel threatened?"

"No. In my opinion I think that you could kill me easily."

Now Legolas was confused.

"But I would not underestimate me either," Amarth added, "I have been given power beyond the wildest dreams of any being on earth."

"So what do you want with me?"
Legolas crossed his arms. He wished that Amarth would just get to the point already.

"You hate Sauron. I know you do I can see it in your eyes. So much hate for one elf."

"Your point?"

"I hate him too."

Legolas raised an eyebrow. He thought Amarth was more loyal to Sauron than The Mouth.

"He imprisoned me for years. Torturing me and turning me into this." He gestured towards himself and looked straight at Legolas. "This is what would have become of you. If you had willingly served Sauron."

Legolas was stunned. He had just been shown what would have happened if he had given in to Sauron.

"But you did not serve him willingly. You had to be forced. Controlled like a ringwraith. And when you stood before Sauron, you showed no fear. You were ready fight and kill. That is why I am going to give you a chance."

"A chance for what?"

"To help me destroy Sauron."

Legolas widened his eyes in shock. Destroy Sauron? They couldn't. Without the ring it was impossible.

"I know what you are thinking," Amarth continued,  "We cannot destroy him without the ring and you are right. We have to get the ring from Sauron and destroy it ourselves. And then-"

"You will take Middle Earth for yourself."

Legolas turned away from Amarth. Guessing his intentions was far too easy.

"You are right," Amarth srugged. "I would take Middle Earth for my own. I am not afraid to admit it. I am not dishonest."

"Except to Sauron." Legolas challenged, still turned away from him. "I'm sure that he is unaware that you are planning to overthrow him?"

"Not mentioning something is not the same as lying my friend. If Sauron asked me if I planned to overthrow him I would tell him the truth."

Legolas whipped around and faced Amarth. This elf was absolutely mad!

"Do not call me your friend." he growled.

"Alright Greenleaf. But will you accept my offer? Will you help me destroy Sauron?"

"And have me trade one Dark lord for another?"

Amarth looked at Legolas with an amused glance.

"No one would ever rule over you again Legolas. Think about it. Middle Earth and everyone who lives in it would be under your control. We would be the most powerful beings in all of Middle Earth."

Legolas glared at him.

"My answer is no. I will not join you, or Sauron. I would rather die."

Amarth's expression changed from a smug grin to a fierce glare.

"Very well then."

Two orcs suddenly appeared, they grabbed Legolas and dragged him away.

"If you will not join me," Amarth whispered to himself, "then you will watch yourself die."