Chapter 16: Freedom

Eowyn heard the screams coming from the torture room all the way in the cell. Boromir and Faramir heard them as well and looked out the door in fear.

The screams never ceased, instead they seemed to grow louder. Eowyn couldn't take it anymore. She covered her ears and begged for the screams to stop.

What if it was Legolas? What could they be doing to him to make him scream like that?

Faramir was also attempting to block out the cries of anguish. While Boromir stared out the door with a dazed look on his face.

Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime, the screams stopped. An unsettling silence filed the air. Eowyn realised that she was holding her breath.

They waited. Nothing happened. A thought entered Eowyn's mind.

Did they kill him?

The thought made her stomach turn. He couldn't be dead, not Legolas, not now.

They continued to sit in silence. Finally, they heard the sound of orcs approaching. Eowyn looked out of the cell, they had him, he was hanging limply in their grasp.

They threw him into the cell. As soon as they left Eowyn raced to his side.

At first there seemed to be nothing wrong with Legolas, yet he HD the appearance of a dead person.

What's wrong with him?

Eowyn gently rolled him onto his side and gasped, her hand covering her mouth in shock.

On the left side of Legolas's face was a long, black scar. It ran all the way down from beside his eye and stopped just above his chin.

The entire side of his face was covered in dark blood, his eyes were closed and he didn't move.

Eowyn placed a hand on his shoulder and spoke softly to him.

"Legolas? Legolas please wake up."

Boromir and Faramir watched in silent horror. Legolas still didn't move.

Eowyn was on the verge of tears. He couldn't be dead. He just couldn't.

She noticed one of his hands twitch. He took in a small breath and slowly opened his eyes.

"Legolas?"

Eowyn took his hand and held it tightly.

He didn't look at her, only stared straight ahead.

"He is going to let us go," he said after a moment of silence.

Eowyn widened her eyes in shock. Boromir stiffened and Faramir's mouth dropped opened.

"Why would he let us go?"
Boromir asked standing to his feet. Momentarily forgetting that Faramir had been leaning on him and had almost fallen over.

Legolas still didn't look at anyone as he lay motionless on the ground.

"I do not know. But we will be leaving tomorow."

"Tomorow?" Faramir spoke for the first time in weeks and his voice startled them.

"We cannot leave tomorow," Eowyn protested, "you are unwell, and Faramir-"

"We have no choice," Legolas interrupted sharply. "We either leave tomorow or not at all."

Eowyn glanced at Boromir who was staring at the scar on Legolas' face in shock. Eowyn then glanced at Faramir, he was in no condition to travel. They would never make it out of Mordor alive.

"We also have four days before Sauron sends his orcs after us."

"What?" Eowyn exclaimed.

"Why would he bother releasing us if he's just going to send orcs to recapture us?" Faramir asked.

"He is playing a cruel game with us. Dangling freedom over our heads just out of our reach."

Legolas closed his eyes and said nothing else. Eowyn looked at the scar and then quickly looked away.

Boromir stared at Legolas, his face filled with distress.

"This is my fault..." He moaned.

Eowyn glanced at him, still holding onto Legolas' hand, offering whatever comfort she could.

"You did not know what you were doing Boromir. It was always the ring."

"I could have tried harder to fight it. I let it consume me and now everyone has to pay for my mistake."

"You will find a way to make things right Boromir, I know you will."

Boromir looked at Eowyn hopelessly, his eyes showimg that he didn't believe her.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Just as Legolas said they were to be released the next day. They were brought before the throne of Sauron.

The Dark lord looked down at them, his face unreadable. The Mouth and Amarth were there as well.

None of them looked fit for travel. Faramir was leaning on Boromir, Legolas looked exausted, and Eowyn was afraid.

"Has Legolas explained what you have to do in order to escape?" he asked.

"We know what we have to do." Legolas stood up straight as he spoke to him, but Eowyn could see his legs trembling.

"Amarth will escort you out of Barad-Dur. You have four days until I release my orcs."
He smiled.
"And they have been ordered to bring you back, dead or alive."

They tensed but no one said anything. To Legolas Sauron nun added, "I'll be seeing you again soon."

Legolas didn't even blink.
"We will see."

Sauron ordered Amarth to lead them away. Orcs surrounded them as they were led out of the tower.

It had been so long since Boromir or Faramir had felt the wind. Although it was hot and the air was thick with smoke, they did not care. They werensimply grateful to be out of the tower.

Amarth led them through the places where the slaves worked. The people looked up at them as they walked by, their faces cold and hard.

Once they reached the edge the orcs shoved them forward. Faramir fell and Boromir quickly helped him up.

Legolas glared at Amarth who smiled at him.

"Good luck Greenleaf. You will need the strength of the Valar to escape these lands."

"I escaped once Amarth. I can do it again."

Their eyes locked, neither moved or spoke. Finally Amarth turned to the orcs and ordered them to return to the tower.

Legolas faced the others; Faramir was about to fall over and Eowyn was terrified.

He took her hand and began to walk forward

"We have to start moving. We must cover as much ground as we can before the orcs come."

Boromir glanced at Faramir who was hanging on by a thread. Without another word they moved through the black land of Mordor.