Chapter 28: All That's Left

As promised Aragorn left with Legolas to see his home, or what was left of it.

Except they were not going alone.

"If you two think you're going anywhere without me you're sadly mistaken." Gimli said as he followed his friends through the long, dark tunnel that led to Lorien.

They had made several tunnels like this throughout the mountain. In case they ever needed to evacuate.

Once they reached the outside they took in the scene in front of them.

They had seen the destruction from the top of the mountain, but standing among the destruction was a whole other experience.

The air was thick and stale. The grass was dead and it crunched under their feet. The trees were black, and pieces of charred bark turned to dust when touched.

Aragorn remembered when they had first come to Lorien. It had been a beautiful place, free from the evil of the world, now reduced to a wasteland.

Aragorn began to lead them through what remained of the Golden Wood.

None of them spoke as memories drifted through their minds. Legolas looked mournfully at the trees. Their songs were silent, they were dead and no longer spoke.

Gimli's thoughts wandered back to when the Fellowship had arrived here for the first time. When he had felt the Fellowship was truly coming together.

Apparently I was wrong.

Aragorn said nothing. This place brought back too  many painful memories.

They walked without rest until dark. They didn't risk lighting a fire. They rested for the night and took turns keeping watch. None of them spoke to each other.

The next day was when Aragorn expected to arrive. By noon they reached the southern border of Mirkwood. They took care to avoid Dol Guldur.

They journeyed north in absolute silence. Legolas couldn't believe what had become of his home.

They dead trees, the scent of death in the air, all of it filled him with dread.

They reached the borders of what was once Thranduil's kingdom. Legolas knew exactly where they were and he took off running.

"Legolas!" Aragorn called out the elf's name but he didn't listen.

Aragorn and Gimli ran after him. They never lost sight of the grey blur in front of them.

He almost looked like a ghost, running through the forest without a sound.

Aragorn and Gimli finally caught up to him once he stopped. But the reason why broke their hearts.

In front of them were the remains of elven warriors who fell defending their home. Aragorn had to look away, he focused his gaze on Legolas and Gimli did the same.

The elf moved silently amongst them. He disturbed nothing. It was as if he wasn't there. He looked at each of the scattered piles of remains that the orcs had defiled.

They shouldn't have died like this. They didn't deserve to die like this.

Legolas continued to walk silently. Discarded swords, spears, and bows littered the forest floor.

Legolas followed the path he had walked countless times towards the palace. The great doors had been torn down. Blood stained the bridge that led inside.

Legolas entered and took in the sight around him. Here, skeletons of elves remained. Each one reaching for someone to save them, only to be left behind in the shadows.

Legolas continued to move through the halls of his former home. This was where he had grown up. Where he had played, trained, and lived. He had always taken it for granted.

Aragorn and Gimli followed in silence. When they had come the first time they hadn't entered the palace.

There was one place Legolas wanted to go. He walked up the winding pathway that led to his father's throne.

The throne was destroyed, but what Legolas saw was his father seated on it, tall and proud. A beautiful elleth stood beside him, a smile on her face and her eyes filled with love. Two elflings ran up to them. Both with golden hair like their parents.

The mother knelt down and put her arms around her sons. Holding them close to her. The father stood and lifted one up into his arms.

The children laughed and smiled at their parents who held them close. It was the only life they knew. The only life they wanted.

But that life had been taken from them. Starting with their mother's death, their father's grief and rejection. One of the sons being taken away, and returning as a monster. The death of the other brother. Finally, the death of the father. Leaving one child alone, and lost in a world of darkness.

Legolas fell to his knees. He lifted his head and screamed.

His cries echoed through the empty halls. Never ceasing.

Aragorn watched his friend helplessly. He didn't know what to do. Legolas' cries soon diminished into quiet sobs.

Aragorn walked over to his friend and put a hand on his shoulder.

Legolas didn't move.

Aragorn didn't want to disturb him, but they couldn't stay any longer.

"We have to go Legolas."

The elf closed his eyes and nodded. He stood to his feet and gave one last look at the remains of his father's throne.

He turned back to others and nodded.

Without a word they left the halls of Thranduil.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Aragorn couldn't bare to look at Legolas' face. He looked so lost.

Aragorn glanced at Gimli who didn't meet his gaze.

They walked in silence back to Lorien. Aragorn was lost in his own thoughts when he heard Legolas' voice.

"We are being followed."

This made Aragorn and Gimli stop in their tracks.

"What do you mean?" Gimli asked.

Legolas pulled out his bow and nocked an arrow into the string.
His eyes searched for their enemy.

Aragorn drew Anduril and Gimli took out his axe.

They waited for any sign of orcs.

Legolas fired an arrow. There was a cry of pain from an orc followed by the sound of the creature falling over.

As he fired another arrow the rest of the orcs appeared. They rushed at them with swords and clubs. The three met them fearlessly.

Legolas's bow sang, Aragorn's sword sliced through the air, Gimli's axe hammered into the orcs.

Any thoughts of an easy kill were gone from the orc's minds. These were warriors. Fighters who's hatred for the enemy and all who served him fueled them with an unquenchable fire.

But suddenly, the orcs stopped attacking and retreated, they didn't leave though.

Legolas kept an arrow in his bowstring. Aragorn held his sword while Gimli gripped his axe.

A dark figure suddenly appeared from the line of orcs. Aragorn didn't know who it was but Legolas did, and the elf looked like he was about to faint.

"Hello Legolas."

Amarth.