Chapter 32: It's Time to Move

Aragorn watched as Thranduil desperately tried to call his son back. The elvenking looked utterly broken. Tears ran down his face an his body shook as he begged for his son to wake.

Aragorn glanced sorrowfully at Gimli, the dwarf returned his gaze. Elrohir couldn't watch and Elladan's gaze was fixed to the floor.

Haldir stood in silence, trying not to let the fear inside him show.

Suddenly, Aragorn thought he saw Legolas move. Was it his imagination? Aragorn studied the elf closely. He saw his hand move slightly.

Aragorn nudged Gimli. The dwarf had seen it too.
"Come on Legolas." the dwarf said.

Please. Aragorn pleaded. Don't leave.

Legolas' eyes flickered open. They looked around the cave in confusion, pain flashed briefly in them. He turned his gaze to his father.

"Ada?" he asked weakly.

Thranduil looked at his son with tears in his eyes.
He pulled his son into his arms and held him tightly.

Aragorn couldn't hide his relief or joy. Legolas was alive, he was going to live.
Thranduil studied his son, he saw the scar and his grey eyes.

"Legolas, what has happened to you?" his voice shook in grief.
Legolas said nothing. He looked down at the ground.

"We should leave them for now." Haldir told them quietly.
Aragorn nodded and followed Haldir out of the cave.

The place the elves had settled in was a long, deep canyon in the far north of the mountains. They sheltered in caves on the mountainside.
Aragorn felt the wind blowing on his face. He looked around at the elves who were busy training and gathering whatever it was they needed to survive.

"I still don't know how you all managed to live here in secret all this time." Gimli shook his head in disbelief.
"It has not been easy for any of us." Haldir said quietly.
"But we have faith that one day Sauron will fall."

Aragorn tensed when he said this. He feared going into battle against Sauron. They didn't have the numbers, or weapons, or anything.

"I know you are afraid Estel." Elladan said.
"But we cannot allow Sauron to reign any longer. He must be stopped."
Aragorn was about to reply when a familiar voice beat him to it.
"He is right Aragorn. The time for hiding is over. Now, it is time to move."

Aragorn and Gimli stared at the figure in disbelief.
"I don't believe this! Is everyone we thought to be dead still alive!" Gimli shouted in anger and relief.

The figure laughed and approached them.
"If only that were true Gimli. Things would be very different if more of us had survived Sauron's attack."

"Gandalf." Aragorn spoke the name in disbelief. "How did you-"
"It is a long story that I do not have time to share now, we have more urgent matters to discuss."

Gandalf began to walk towards a large cave while the others followed, turning to Haldir he said, "Fetch Thranduil and Legolas if he is well enough, they need to be present for this as well."

Haldir nodded and ran towards the cave where the two elves were. The others followed Gandalf into the cave.

°°°°

"The time of Sauron is over."  Gandalf announced.
"It is time for us to move against him and defeat him once and for all."

The others took his in words with silence. They stood in the middle of the cave in a circle.

Gandalf stood between Aragorn and Thranduil, Legolas sat next to his father up against the wall, he was too tired to stand. Gimli was next to Aragorn and Elladan and Elrohir stood side by side with Haldir.

"How can we stand against Sauron's armies?" Elrohir asked. "We are outnumbered."
"Not if we join together." Gandalf stated.
"We have men, elves, and dwarves. All of them ready to fight against Sauron. All they need is a leader."

At this everyone turned to Aragorn.
"No. Gandalf I cannot lead them into battle. It has to be someone else, I-"
"Aragorn."

The others turned and faced Legolas who was struggling to stand up, Thranduil went over and helped him.

Once he was standing Legolas faced Aragorn.
"I know you are afraid, so are we. But Gandalf is right Sauron cannot live any longer. I have seen what he can do. I have felt his darkness and I cannot stand by and watch as he destroys more and more people. We have to fight him and if it kills us, so be it. If he is allowed to endure, than we are all as good as dead anyway."

Legolas finished and slowly sank back to the floor.
Aragorn refused to meet the other's gaze.
"It is time Aragorn." Gandalf told him firmly.
Aragorn glanced up at him with desperation in his eyes.
"You are no longer a Ranger. It is time for you to become the leader you were born to be."

Aragorn looked at Gandalf, then at Elladan and Elrohir. Both nodded. Haldir and Thranduil stared at him with unblinking eyes. Finally Aragorn's gaze rested on Legolas and Gimli.

The two of them had followed him ever since they'd left Rivendell, even after the Fellowship had been broken they had never lost faith in him.

Sighing, Aragorn turned back to Gandalf.
"We will fight."
A dead silence hung in the air. They all knew that going into battle against Sauron would result in either their deaths, or their freedom.

"We must ready our armies." Gandalf announced.
"The battle for Middle Earth is about to begin."

°°°°

In Barad-Dur, a debate was taking place.
As usual, it was the Mouth of Sauron arguing with Amarth.
Only this time, the outcome of this argument would determine the fate of Middle Earth.

"We should attack them now and slaughter them before they can unite." The Mouth insisted.
"We could destroy any resistance to you my lord."

"If we attack them now, it will give them a chance to escape and hide once again." Amarth argued. "We would have more rebels to deal with in the future. Let them face you in battle. Trap them. Slaughter them all and make an example of them."

The Mouth snarled while Amarth smirked. Of course Sauron would go with the elf's plan. Amarth's plan would ensure their victory. All of their strength was in Mordor and allowing the rebels to come to their land and fight would ensure Modor's victory.

Then again, there was always the small chance that they could be defeated, if the ring was cut from Sauron's hand and destroyed...

Sauron knew this and pondered his options. Rally all of his forces and destroy them now, or let them come to him.

"They would be caught like rats." Amarth continued.
"All you would have to do is cut down their leader."

Aragorn.

If Sauron could kill Isildur's heir, all resistance to him would vanish.
"We will let them come." Sauron announced.
"We will kill them all, every last one of them."

"I only ask one thing my lord." Amarth said.
"And what would that be?"
"You can deal with Aragorn, but leave Legolas to me."
"What concern is the elf to you?" Sauron asked skeptically.
"I want to be the one who kills him."
Amarth ran his hand along the smooth side of his dagger.
"It is all I ask."

Sauron nodded.
"Very well. If that is your wish. No one else will touch him, but I do not want him alive. Kill him."
Amarth nodded.
"You have my word."

Sauron stood up from his throne.
"Prepare our armies for battle." he commanded.
"Let them come. This is a fight they cannot win."

Sauron and the Mouth left the room. Leaving Amarth alone with his thoughts.

You will have your battle Sauron, and whether you win or lose I will have my revenge