Chapter 4: What Will You Do?

Amarth stood beside Sauron's throne. The dark lord sat in silence with the Mouth of Sauron standing on his right.

Amarth's hands were stained black. He lifted one up and inspected it.

"What is that?" The Mouth asked.

"Orc blood." Amarth smirked while the Mouth hissed.

Amarth turned to Sauron.
"Who is this prisoner we are waiting for?"

As if to answer his question two orcs entered the room, half dragging and half carrying someone between them.

Amarth raised an eyebrow. It was the elf he'd seen the other day in the dungeon.

His hands were chained together and his legs dragged uselessly behind him. His left shoulder was red with blood and he was covered in scars.

Amarth didn't understand what was so special about him. Besides the fact that he was probably the only other elf in Middle Earth besides himself.

The orcs threw him down in front of the throne. He made no sound as he hit the floor.

Sauron watched as he struggled to pick himself up.

"Welcome back Legolas, I was wondering when you would return."

The elf glared at him. If looks could kill Sauron would be dead.

"What did you do to me?"
Legolas demanded.

"You should be thanking me elf. You were almost dead when my Nazgul found you. I saved your life."

"I was already dead."
Legolas stood to his feet. He stumbled for a moment and then straightened himself again.

Amarth looked questioningly at Sauron. How could he have saved him if he had already been dead?

"True," Sauron replied slowly, "it took a lot of power to bring you back."
"Why waste your time?" Legolas asked dryly. "Why not let me die?"
"Because your work for me is not yet finished." Was Sauron's answer.

Amarth noticed the elf tense when he said this. The dark elf was confused. He thought he had been the first elf to serve Sauron.

"I've done more than enough for you." Legolas spat.
"Yes, you have. But none of it was done willingly. I spent a lot of my power forcing you to kill for me."

He gestured to Amarth.
"He on the other hand, does everything I order him to."

It was the first time Legolas acknowledged Amarth.

Their eyes locked. Each one trying to stare the other down.

"I've given him power and strength beyond anything else that serves me," Sauron continued, "Even the Nazgul fear him."

"You forget that I almost killed one of your Nazgul." Legolas turned back to Sauron. "Not to mention countless orcs with nothing but my bare hands."
He turned to the Mouth and drilled him with a fierce glare.
"And let's not forget what happened to Sauron's last messenger."

The Mouth snarled. Legolas' expression remained neutral. He turned back to Sauron.

"You can do whatever you want to me. But I swear as long as I live I will not serve you ever again."

Amarth had to admit, he was impressed. Men and orcs trembled at the mere mention of Sauron's name, he himself was even intimidated by him. But here was this elf, who looked the dark lord in the eye and didn't even blink.

Sauron began to laugh softly. It wasn't what any of them had expected.
"We'll see about that..."

Two more orcs walked in carrying another prisoner with them. Amarth wasn't really concerned with it, but he did notice Legolas' expression rapidly change from defiance to fear.

The orcs threw the prisoner onto the floor. Amarth recognized the halfling.

Without warning Legolas raced over to him. The orcs moved to stop the elf but Sauron called them off.

Amarth watched as Legolas knelt beside the halfling. He kept saying what he guessed to be the halfling's name.

"Pippin! Are you alright?"

He groaned and looked up at him. His face was bloodied and his hands were chained.

The halfling looked up, his eyes filled with pain.
"Legolas? What's happening? Where-" Legolas shushed him and cradled the hobbit in his arms.

"Do not speak. Save your strength."

"What will you do now elf? Will you refuse to serve me and watch your friend die, or will you cooperate with me and allow him to live?"

Legolas glared at Sauron, laying Pippin down he lunged forward as two orcs grabbed him..

"I'll give you one day to decide, and if you don't have an answer the halfling dies."

The orcs dragged Legolas away while two more grabbed Pippin.

When they left The Mouth spoke.
"You should have killed the halfling, it would have broken him."
"If you kill the halfling it will do nothing more than feed Legolas' anger towards you."

Both turned to Amarth. The elf stood quietly with his hands clasped behind his back. The Mouth snarled. 

"Do not speak you-"
"Silence!"
The Mouth cowered at Sauron's order then scowled at Amarth.
Sauron turned to the dark elf. 
"Continue."

"Keep the halfling alive. Promise Legolas that he will not be harmed. Let the elf think he's safe, then kill him. Then Legolas will be truly broken."

Sauron considered his words.

"My lord, you can't possibly consider this!" The Mouth exclaimed. "What does he know?"

Amarth glanced at the Mouth. Both waited for Sauron to answer.

"Very well," the dark lord said, "we'll keep him alive."

He looked down at them.

"For now."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Comment Comment Comment Comment!