Chapter 2: I Should Be Dead

He was dreaming-no-he was having a nightmare. Orcs were everywhere, they surrounded him, clawed at him, beat him, he couldn't breath.

Someone was nearby, they were screaming. He tried to locate the source of the cries, but all he found was a man, beaten and covered in blood, dead. He recognized the body the man had died to save him so he could escape, Theodred.

But it had been no use. The orcs had overcome him. They'd killed him. He was dead.

Pippin shot awake. He gasped and looked around franctically. Where was he? Why was he alive?

I should be dead.

He rubbed his head. His nightmare began to fade, but the sight of the man who had given his life for him, would not leave his mind.

Theodred, Pippin had been helpless to save him it was his fault that he was dead.

Why did you have to get separated Pippin? Why couldn't have you stay with the others?

A thought entered Pippin's head. Were his friends even alive?
Merry? Frodo and Sam?

What about Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli?

Eomer, Eowyn, Gandalf...

So many that could be dead....

He even wondered about Boromir. He'd never felt like Boromir was a traitor, he'd never blamed him, not one time had he. 

To him, Boromir had still been his friend, it was the ring that had corrupted him.

Pippin decided to try and figure out where he was. He crawled slowly to the cell door. He was weak and could barely move.

There was barely any light where he was, just a single torch. There was a cell directly across from him. He thought he could see movement, but it was too dark to tell for sure.

He wondered if he should call out, just to see if anyone was around....

He quickly decided against it. He didn't want to attract any unnecessary attention.

Pippin crawled away from the door and curled up against the far wall. He was scared. Scared for himself and his friends.

Were they here too? Were they dead? Were they somewhere else, hiding from the enemy?

The hobbit sighed. Too many questions, not one answer.

Something moved outside. Pippin froze. Trying to make himself as small as possible.

A tall, dark figure stood outside his cell door. He held a torch and wore a strange crown over his head that covered his eyes, showing only an ugly mouth.

The being grinned, "Welcome to Mordor halfling."
He turned and entered the opposite cell, still carrying the torch.

The other cell was illuminated. Pippin crawled back over, hoping to get a glimpse of whoever was inside.

At first the being blocked any view Pippin had of the prisoner. But when he did move, and revealed the inhabitant of the cell, Pippin's entire body shook.

No... Oh please no....

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Short chapter! Will write more later! Who do you think is in the other three cells?