Chapter 5: The Bargain

Legolas dreaded facing Sauron again but he had no choice. The orcs came and brought him back to Sauron's throne.

No one else was there this time. Just Legolas and Sauron. He motioned for the orcs to leave. Legolas prepared himself for what he was about to say.

"Have you made your decision elf?" Sauron asked.
Legolas closed his eyes and took in a deep breath.

He opened them and gave his answer.
"If you promise not to harm Pippin, I swear I will do whatever it is you ask of me."

Legolas hung his head. He had just delivered himself right into the enemy's control once again.

Sauron was pleased. He motioned for someone to enter. Legolas heard footsteps and briefly thought that it was The Mouth.

But when he turned around to look, it was the elf he had seen before.

"I believe the two of you have not officially met," Sauron said gesturing to the elf, "this is Amarth."

Legolas narrowed his eyes at Amarth. 

"I already know your name Greenleaf," Amarth stated nonchalantly, "I do not need to hear it again."

"Amarth, show Legolas what he will be doing for the next few months." Sauron ordered.

The elf nodded and led Legolas to the far side of the throne room. Legolas almost collapsed but held himself up.

He knew what lay behind this door. He had spent countless days and nights in this room.

He refused to enter. He wouldn't.

"Remember our bargain Legolas. You must do what I command or your friend dies. Now take your place in that room."

Sauron's words sent shivers down Legolas' spine. He took a deep breath and followed Amarth inside.

The room looked exactly how it did when Legolas had been there. All the instruments of torture created by Sauron and the small cell that had been his prison for three hundred years were still there.

"What are you going to do to me?"
Legolas asked as Amarth began preparing one of the machines.

"Sauron wants me to try my hand at torture. He thought you would be good practice for me."

Legolas was a bit taken back by how Amarth seemed perfectly calm with what he was doing.

"What did Sauron do to you?" Legolas asked. "To make you like this?"
"I was already like this," Amarth replied matter-of-factly. "Ever since I can remember I've always enjoyed watching others suffer."

He didn't look at Legolas at all. He continued to ready the torturing devices, speaking as if he was having a normal conversation with a friend.

"I will admit. I don't want to do this to you. You're different. Unique. I've never seen someone stand so fearless before the Dark Lord."

Legolas was caught off guard. This was the strangest elf he'd ever met.

"And yet," Amarth continued, "So stupid."

Legolas was lost. He didn't know what to say to this elf.

"You have the chance to avoid all this, all this pain and suffering, and yet you choose to go through it for the sake of a mere mortal."

Amarth looked up at him with his bright blue eyes. It nerved Legolas how much they looked alike.

"Even if you save him now, what will stop him from growing old and dying? You could end both of your suffering if you simply refuse Sauron."