Chapter 8: Mellon Nin

Pippin was used to seeing Legolas return to the cell in all sorts of conditions. Tired, angry, sometimes he'd pushed his feelings back and had a small conversation with him before retiring for the night.

But this was the first time he'd seen countless emotions displayed on the elf's face. He didn't sit but began to pace.

Pippin stood and looked at him in concern.

"Legolas? Are you alright?" he asked cautiously.
"No I am not." Legolas snapped.

Pippin was taken back by Legolas' harsh tone. Legolas stopped pacing and looked apologetically at the hobbit.

"Forgive me. I'm just... I do not know what to think."

Legolas walked over and sat up against the wall. Pippin sat beside him.

"What happened?"

Legolas sighed.

"I watched someone die today. And I did nothing to stop it."

Pippin widened his eyes. His stomach churned as Legolas gave a very brief description of the scene that had taken place.

When he finished Pippin immediately began his task of comforting Legolas in any way he could.

"There was nothing you could have done Legolas. It wasn't your fault, we both know who the enemy is."

Legolas shook his head.

"I could have done something. I could have saved him but I didn't."
"Why?"
"Because then he would have killed you. I cannot let that happen."

Pippin lowered his head. Now it wasn't just Legolas who suffering for his sake. Now others were being punished so Sauron would have a reason to get at Legolas.

"You don't have to keep doing this Legolas. You can let me go. I'm not afraid."

That wasn't true. He was afraid of what Sauron would, and could do to him. But if his passing meant that Legolas wouldn't have to suffer under Sauron's hand it would be worth it to the young hobbit.

"You don't understand Pippin. I cannot let you die. You are what's keeping my hope alive."

Pippin was confused.

"What?"

Legolas sighed.

"Every day you tell me that things will get better. You tell me that one day the darkness will fall and light will return to Middle Earth."
"I never said that..."
"You didn't say it with words, but how you hold on to hope, even when there is none, your faith that good will triumph one day, that is what is keeping me alive. If I did not have that to hold on to, I would fall into darkness. I need you Pippin. I need the hope and life you bring here. I need my friend."

Pippin couldn't believe what he had just heard. How could Legolas think that about him? He wasn't brave, he wasn't very hopeful. But a small flame grew inside of him, telling him that all hope was not yet lost, and he held on to that. He hadn't been aware that he had passed some of that hope to Legolas.

For awhile neither said anything. Both sat in silence with their own thoughts. Finally, Pippin remembered something he'd wanted to ask Legolas.

"What does 'mellon' mean?"
"Exscuse me?"
"'Mellon' you called me 'mellon' once. What does it mean?"

Legolas just stared at him, then to Pippin's surprise and shock, Legolas began laughing.

Pippin had never heard Legolas laugh. When he had first met him the very thought of the elf laughing had seemed ridiculous.