Chapter 24: Fading

Gimli found Aragorn exactly where he had expected him. He was standing alone on the edge of the mountainside. The one he had gone to so many times ever since they had arrived at this place.

He still held on tightly to the evenstar pendant. His eyes were glazed over in grief.

"Aragorn!" Gimli tried to get the man's attention but he was lost in his own thoughts.

"She's gone Gimli, they're both gone. Forever."

The dwarf didn't know what to say. Aragorn sounded so broken, defeated.

"Aragorn, I'm sorry. I know how much she meant to you. Both of them."

Gimli knew that Aragorn still mourned for Arwen, he had never forgotten her. But Eowyn had helped heal him. She had filled the empty space in his heart. But now she was gone. And the wound in Aragorn's heart had reopened.

"I don't know what to do Gimli. Without her, I can't lead them. I can't."

"Don't talk like that! It's exactly what Sauron wants! You are the people's last hope. If you lose faith now-"

"Lose what? What do we have to lose Gimli? We have nothing! Our homes are destroyed, families have been killed and scattered across the land! We have no faith! What do we have left Gimli? Tell me one thing we have left!"

"We have hope."

Aragorn stared at him in confusion and anger. So many emotions played across Aragorn's face.

"We have each other. Our friends, our people, they've all united under you Aragorn. They believe in you."

Aragorn said nothing. For a long time both were silent. Until Aragorn said, "Legolas is fading."

Gimli stared at him, dumbfounded.

"Fading? What do you mean?" Gimli had heard a little about elves fading from Legolas, but he had never really understood exactly what the elf had meant by "fading."

"Legolas has been worn down by pain and grief. He lacks the strength, or light to save himself."

"You mean he's dying?" Gimli asked. He wouldn't believe it. Legolas couldn't have survived all that he had been through just to lay down and give up. It didn't seem like something the elf would do.

"When an elf has become weary of the world, whether from grief or suffering, they begin to fade. Sometimes they overcome it and grow strong again, but if they cannot they sail west." Aragorn told him. The pain and fear for his friend evident in his voice.

"But he can't sail west. The havens were destroyed. There's no way to sail there." Gimli said casting a glance westwards.

"I know. Unless Legolas can find some strength, and the will to keep himself alive, he will fade. And yes, he will die."

"Of course he can find enough strength! It's Legolas! He won't just give up." Gimli insisted.

Aragorn shook his head.

"He's lost everything Gimli. His people are gone, his father, and he has been a prisoner of Sauron's twice in his life. He may be hundreds of years older than us Gimli, but he is still very young. He may not have the will to continue living. Especially when he would spend countless ages in this world. Always running or fighting against Sauron. If we cannot defeat him in our lifetime, if we grow old and die or are slain, he will continue to live on. That is not something I would force onto him."

"You're not even going to try and help him?" Gimli asked in disbelief.

"If he wants my help I will give it to him. But it is his choice. If he chooses to leave this world, and allow himself to fade, I will not stop him."

Aragorn turned away and gazed over the barren landscape. They had made their refuge in the mountains near where Lorien used to be. The golden wood was now nothing more than a charred wasteland.

Gimli sighed and returned into the mountain. Out of the remaining members of the Fellowship (not that any of them called themselves that, in their minds the Fellowship of the Ring had failed) he was the only one comfortable living inside of the mountain.

As he walked he thought about what Aragorn had said about Legolas fading. The dwarf didn't believe that Legolas would give up. The elf he knew had never backed down from a fight, and right now he was fighting a terrible battle: a battle between life and death.

He had faith that Legolas would overcome it, he was a fighter, he had the tireless energy of a hundred elf warriors.

Without thinking the dwarf found himself heading towards the Healing Wing. He debated on whether or not he should visit Legolas, just to see if he was alright.

The dwarf entered through the small doorway, there was no door, but a large boulder kept anyone from looking in. He stepped around it and found Legolas sitting with his back against the wall. His eyes were grey and unfocused.

Gimli had seen the changes in the elf when he had first arrived, but it still was unsettling.

Legolas noticed him and managed a small smile.

"It's good to see you again Gimli. I almost thought I never would."

Gimli returned his smile.

"I knew we'd be seeing you again."

"Really?" the elf raised an eyebrow.

"Of course I did. You're the hardest person to get rid of. I knew sooner or later you'd show your pointy-ears around again."

Legolas looked like he wanted to laugh but instead only gave small grin.

"I'm glad you're back Legolas. We all are." Gimli said.

"Thank you Gimli. Although you are the first one to have said so."

"Even if the others haven't said it yet I can assure you that they are."

Legolas' smile faded. He looked up at the roof of the cave and sighed.

"After the news I brought to Aragorn and the hobbits, I doubt they are as glad as you are."

Gimli was confused. What had he told the hobbits?

"Pippin is dead. I watched him die right in front of me."

Gimli gasped in shock.

Not Pippin. Not little Pippin...

Legolas closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry Gimli, but I need to be alone for awhile."

The dwarf nodded in understanding.

"If you need anything, let me know."

Legolas said nothing.

Gimli left without another word. He could see now that Legolas was very close to fading. He couldn't let him sit and die! There was too much death already.

The dwarf clenched his hands into fists. This was all Boromir's fault! If he hadn't taken the ring none of this would have happened!

With rage in his heart, Gimli set off to find Aragorn and the hobbits.