Chapter 6: A Small Light

Everyday became the same for Legolas and Pippin. Every day orcs would come and take Legolas, he'd be gone all day, and then they would return him at night.

Whenever he returned he'd be scarred and bruised. He never said anything to Pippin, just went to a corner in the cell and didn't move.

But one evening when Legolas was brought back he didn't show any new physical injuries.

His eyes were wide and he kept mumbling under his breath.
"Legolas?" Pippin asked.

The elf didn't respond. He just sat huddled in his corner. He looked scared.

Pippin had never seen Legolas like this. It was unsettling. He walked over to where the elf sat.

"Legolas?" he tried again. Still no response.

Pippin sat down next to him. He didn't know what he was supposed to do. Legolas was suffering everyday for his sake, it wasn't fair that he couldn't do anything.

Or could he? He glanced at Legolas. The elf stared straight ahead, unblinking and unmoving.

He felt slightly nervous about what he was about to do but if it could help....

Pippin took in a deep breath and started to sing. His voice rose barely above a whisper, but it was clear enough for Legolas.

It was a song Pippin had made up after hearing about Bilbo's adventures. He'd never sang it out loud to anyone because he thought it wasn't good. But at this point he figured no one would care.

Looking straight ahead he began his song.

I saw the light
Fade from the sky
On the wind I heard
A sigh as the snowflakes
Cover my fallen brothers
I will say this last goodbye

He paused and glanced at Legolas. The elf had looked up, he seemed to be coming out of his trance or whatever it was.

Pippin continued.

Night has now fallen
So ends this day
The road is now calling
And I must away
Over hill and under
Tree through lands
Where never light has
Shown by silver streams
That run down to the
Sea under cloud beneath
The stars over snow and
Winter's morn I turn at
Last to paths that lead home

Legolas was looking at him now. Pippin felt a little uneasy but he continued.

And though where
The road then takes
Me I cannot tell
We came all this way
But now comes the day
To bid you farewell

Many places I have been
Many sorrows I have seen
But I don't regret nor
Will I forget all who
Took that road with me

Night has now fallen
So ends this day
The road is now
Calling and I must away
Over hill and under tree
Through lands where never
Light has shone by silver
Streams that run down to
The sea

To these memories I
Will hold and with
Your blessing I will
Go to turn at last to
Paths that lead home

And though where
The road then takes me
I cannot tell we came
All this way but now
Comes the day
To bid you farewell

I bid you all
A very fond
Farewell

He finished his song with a sigh. It made him think of he everything he lost. His friends and family, his home...

He was startled by Legolas putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you."

Pippin looked up at him in slight confusion. He didn't know how else to respond so he nodded.

Legolas removed his hand and asked, "Did you make that song up yourself?"

"Yes. It probably wasn't very good."
"You underestimate yourself Pippin. It was a song fit for elven halls."

Pippin smiled slightly.

"I started it after I heard about Bilbo's adventures with the dwarves."
"Did Bilbo ever mention a particular elf in his stories?" Legolas asked with a slight grin on his face.
"What elf would you have in mind?" Pippin asked in confusion.
"Perhaps a certain elven prince who fought in a certain battle of five armies?" 

Pippin looked at him curiously.

"He mentioned something about an elf prince, but he said he never met you."
"That is not entirely true," Legolas replied slighly, "I did ran into him at one point, cathcing him releasing prisoners from my father's dungeon."

Pippin smiled.

"I remember."
"I saw him two more times after that. Once when he was bringing the arkenstone to my father and Bard, and during the battle when Gandalf was trying to prevent my father from leaving."

Legolas looked thoughtful.
"I've never seen anything more curious than a hobbit. At first they seem like small, helpless creatures who would probably perish if they were not constantly living in comfort."

Pippin narrowed his eyes while Legolas turned to him with a new kind of light in his eyes.

"But then they turn into the most loyal, brave, and trustworthy beings you can imagine. I remember in Moria, when the four of you could have stayed out of the fight and let us take care of it, you jumped right in with no second thoughts."

Pippin remembered that time in Moria.

"Of course I'm the one who brought the orcs in the first place." he muttered.
"True. But it no longer matters what you've done. It is in the past." Legolas assured him.
"What about you? Why do you still let what happened all those years ago affect you?"

Pippin immediately wished he could take back those words.

"I'm sorry. I didn't-"
"You're right Pippin," Legolas interrupted, "I shouldn't let it affect me."

Pippin blinked. He'd been right?

Legolas looked away.

"The reason I have not let it go yet is because it never ended. I never truly stopped being the monster they had turned me into. I had merely trapped it inside of me instead of killing it like I should have. Now it threatens to break free again. That is what Sauron wants. He doesn't want me, he wants the monster."

Pippin was quiet for a moment.
"You're not a monster Legolas. You never have and never will be. Whatever Sauron's trying to do you can beat him. You're strong and brave and loyal. No one could ask for a better friend."

Legolas looked at Pippin. A small smile spread across his face.

"Thank you mellon."

After that Legolas settled onto the floor and drifted off into sleep. Pippin sat in silence. He was troubled.

I believe I have forgotten what "mellon" means.

Pippin sighed and settled in his usual spot on the opposite side of the cell. He'd have to ask him what it meant tomorow.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Not many happenings in this chapter. Don't worry the plot will begin to pick up speed very soon! I wanted to include The Last Goodbye in this story because it is one of my favorite songs. I'm pretty sure I got the lyrics right but if not feel free to correct me!

Ok I'm out.