Chapter 17: Journey Through Mordor

The four moved quietly and slowly across the black plains of Mordor. They had been going without a rest for almost two days, Legolas wouldn't allow them to stop for anything.

They would have been fine if it hadn't been for Faramir, he was in no condition to travel and was barely conscious. Boromir supported him as much as he could but he was exhausted as well.

Legolas had watched him struggle to help his brother but hadn't done anything to help, which was making Eowyn mad.

Faramir suddenly collapsed onto the groundtaking Boromir with him. Eowyn ran over to them and looked up at Legolas who watched in silence.

"Legolas, please help." She pleaded as she gripped Faramir's hand.

The elf turned to face her, the scar on his face made her cringe.

He looked down at Faramir and then at Boromir, his face remained stern and cold. He walked over and helped Faramir to his feet. He put the man's arm around his shoulder and began walking.

Boromir stood up and followed, he looked like he wanted to thank him but one glare from Legolas made him keep his mouth shut.

Eowyn followed in silence. She hadn't known Legolas long, or very well for that matter, had he always been like this? Cold and unforgiving? But he had always been loyal to his friends, he ha been willing to give his life for Aragorn.

Aragorn.

Would she ever see him again? Would she ever feel his arms around her again? Or his strong, gentle voice telling her that he loved her?

Would she see her brother again? She had already lost her parents and her uncle and cousin. Would she lose her brother and Aragorn too?

She looked up at Boromir, the man was about to fall over, she was too. She called out to Legolas.

"We need to rest."

Legolas paused and turned back to her.

"We have to put as much distance between us and Sauron as we can before he sends out his orcs, we cannot stop now."

"If we do not rest they will be able to catch us no matter how far we get." Eowyn argued.

They stared each other down until finally, Legolas conceded. He found a spot to lay Faramir down and took a seat himself, far away from Boromir. Eowyn sat next to Legolas who stared straight ahead and said nothing.

It seemed like all emotion had left him, he was just a shell now. He had no purpose except to get out of Mordor.

Eowyn pulled out the small skin of water they had been given. They had only been given two water skins filled with bitter water. She took a small sip then held it out to Legolas.

Without looking at her or the water he said, "I do not need it."

"Yes you do. Drink some."

He made no reply and continued to stare ahead. Sighing, Eowyn took another sip and then set the skin down next to her.

Boromir was trying to get some water into Faramir's mouth. His face revealed how frightened he was for his brother's life.

"Where are we headed to?" Eowyn asked Legolas.

"We go south from here. We will arrive near the desert of Harad and make our way north from there."

"And after that?"

"I do not know."

She looked at him. He didn't know?

"I thought you might have an idea." Legolas said turning to her suddenly