Chapter 3 - The "Thing"

*Edited* - Jan. 13th, 2018

It was evening when Natsu returned to the castle, despite all of the beatings he had received earlier when he refused to listen to any of the adults. He had asked Mira to make cookies earlier that day, which he had carried with him. Half were original, the other half had spices for him. The ones with spice were slightly darker than the others, so he could tell which ones were for him.

He slipped past the guards at the gate and ran through the courtyard, tonight it was much easier than before. He saw Lucy's room, a candle was lit. He saw her too, standing on her balcony. She saw him too and waved to him. He smiled and climbed up the wall.

• • •

"Then what happened?" Lucy asked. The two were sitting on her bed, sharing the bag of cookies. Natsu was telling different stories from Fairy Tail.

"When Erza came back with over a thousand jewels, Mira and her started fighting and they almost died!" Lucy sweat dropped as he continued, knowing he was exaggerating.

"Natsu,"

"Hm?"

"What's that on your arm?" Lucy pointed to his shoulder.

"That's my Fairy Tail mark," he told her. He lifted his sleeve up so she could see it better. She stared at the mark in amazement. She told him that she'd wanted to join for years. Her parents wouldn't let her because she was so young and having a Heartfilia in the guild would destroy the family name.

"Do you know what kind of magic I have?" Lucy asked him eagerly.

"No,"

Lucy jumped off the bed and ran to her desk. She picked up a silver key. The key had been made for an adult, not a young child. The key was slightly too large for her small hand.

"Open, gate of the dog! Nikora!" After the gate was opened a small snowman looking thing tried walking.

"You'll do better next time," Natsu comforted her, patting her shoulder. Lucy huffed in annoyance.

"I did nothing wrong! This is Plue." The thing made a noise and stretched its arms in the air.

"That's not a dog."

"It's a spirit dog." She said. Natsu rolled his eyes and finished off the cookies.

• • •

When Lucy awoke the next morning, he was gone. She stretched her arms over her head and yawned. She wasn't in the mood to pull herself out of bed so early. As she swung her legs over the side of her bed, she heard footsteps coming towards her room. Her door opened, revealing her father. He looked broken. His face was pale, revealing heavy bags under his eyes. He spoke to his daughter quietly.

"Lucy,"

"Daddy, is something wrong?" She asked, worried. Her father nodded.

"You're mother, she . . . she passed away early this morning." He said, solemnly. Lucy's eye widened. Her heart and everything seemed to stop.

• • •

Authors Note;

Hey, minna! ^_^ it's been awhile. I'm sorry I haven't been active. I've been wasting my time on buzz feed and Pinterest. Hehe. Yeah. And school is like not fun. And people will make out anywhere it seems. Anyway, this is going to be one of my longer fanfics. I'm so excited for this story to continue I promise good stuff is coming. I'll be back with new chapters soon!

~Lucy