Chapter 38 - Early Morning Talks

The next morning, Lucy awoke in pain while lying in her own bed. Her blinds were drawn closed and the sun was barely rising in the horizon. A healer was asleep, next to her to a rocking chair. Another was ringing out water from a stained bandage. Lucy turned her head over to the side, getting the healer's attention.

"Sleep well?" She asked. The healer was an older woman with a warm smile. She had a small, round figure and graying hair.

"Not really," Lucy groaned in honesty, "What happened?"

"You were able to bring that dragon slayer out of his demon state but you fell unconscious shortly after." Lucy was silent for a moment as she tried to think of what happened to Natsu or the mages.

"What about the Wizards? Are they alright?" The healer was silent.

" . . . All I've heard was that the mages had won. I don't know how many of them lived or died." She said as she wrapped the damp bandage around her forearm. Lucy propped herself up onto her elbows - despite the healer's wishes - and looked at the clock. 4:30 am, it read. "You should get some more rest," the healer said. Lucy shook her head.

"I don't need any more," She reached for a glass of water on her nightstand and took a sip of it. She peered over to the empty crib where Nash usually was. "Where's Nash?" She asked. The healer replied,

"We moved him into the playroom, cleared out a space for a cradle. We didn't want him to disturb you." Lucy nodded as she listened and moved to the edge of her bed. She stood and grabbed her robe that hung on a hook.

"Your Highness-," The healer protested. Lucy held up her hand to stop her.

"I know, I probably shouldn't be moving. But I want to, I want to see Nash. Besides, you look like you could use some rest." Lucy gestured to her tired eyes and the healer nodded.

"Alright, but be careful." Lucy nodded and left her room. Walking was painful, it was as if moving any joint in her body was lighting a match and setting it on that area. So the closest way to not being in pain was to waddle like an idiot towards the room. She took a sharp breath in as she reached for the door handle and twisted it. The door creaked as she opened it and she peeked inside. Nash was awake, he turned his head towards the door and smiled as his mother walked in.

"Someone's happy to see me," Lucy commented. Nash made a small laugh and smiled brightly, exposing his pink mouth, no teeth yet. He held his arms out to his mother. Lucy hesitated, but lifted him out of his bed. He nuzzled himself into her chest and took a fist full of her cotton shirt. She lightly kissed the top of his head as she heard footsteps come towards the room. The door flew open, it was the other healer. She was clearly younger, she had dark red hair and bright green eyes.

"Your Highness, there's someone here to see you," She said. Lucy starred at her for a moment before asking,

"Who is it?"

"The dragon slayer, Natsu Dragneel. Eliza freaked when he walked in from the balcony and attacked him with your throw pillows." Lucy chuckled as she imagined the old woman saying, "what are you doing in here, shoo," and throwing pillows as him. "He's still on the balcony."

"I'll talk to him," Lucy said as she laid Nash back down. "But I would like you two to leave us alone."

"Oh, gladly. I don't want to be near that monster." The healer said. She took Lucy back to he bedroom and took Eliza with her. Lucy laid her robe along the end of her bed and walked towards her balcony door. She took a deep breath and turned the gold colored handle and pushed the door open. Natsu was leaning against the marble railing, watching the sun. He turned when he heard her her footsteps on the floor.

He stared at her. Part of him wanted to look away, she was covered by injuries he caused. He normally would've gone and beaten up whoever had hurt her, but he was already making sure he was beating himself. But at the same time, he felt he could watch her for hours. She looked like some sort of beautiful, bad ass angel.

She stood next to him and watched the sun rise. Neither of them really knew what to say to each other. It was a heavy silence floating above their heads. Less than 24 hours ago, he had his hand gripping her neck. Now they were watching a giant star trying to figure out how to talk to each other. But after what felt like hours of silence, Natsu broke it.

"I couldn't control myself," He said quietly.

"I knew you couldn't," Lucy replied. She looked down towards the ground, a group of crows were pecking at a fruit vine growing on the fence. "I couldn't control what was happening either."

"What?"

"The government. I have little to know control over what happens. If I did, I would've lifted the ban on guilds months ago. I would've let you out of prison and none of this would've happened."

". . . I heard what you said." He told her. He didn't know what to say to her statement. All he knew now was that Gray was wrong about just about everything. Lucy was silent, she examined a burn that just missed her guild mark. "You didn't need to apologize for anything."

"But-,"

"No but's, you've had little control over everything that was happening. Also, you shouldn't apologize for coming into my life. Meeting you again was one of the better parts of it." When she didn't reply, he continued. "Luce, you're one of my best friends. Don't ever apologize for stepping into my life."

"Okay, I promise." Lucy gave a small smile. "You know, I heard you yesterday, too."

"Really, and what did I-," He stopped as he remembered how he confessed to her. His face turned red and he turned away from her. Lucy rested her arm on his shoulder.

"Natsu, I love you, too." She said softly. He turned around and before he knew what he was doing, he kissed her. It was different from the one before, it wasn't as soft but it said just as much (maybe, even more) as yesterday's kiss. Her hands cupped his face and his held her waist. After a few moments, they separated.

"You really love me?"

"Natsu, you've brought great things into my life. You brought me joy and light. You gave me something new and different everyday. You are one of the greatest people I've met in my life and not just because of what you've done. You're not afraid and you're willing to do anything and everything for those you care about. I love you so much," Her words were a combination of a whisper and a cry out to the world. They gave him a reassurance that he had been needing for oh so long. He held her, words weren't exchanged for minutes. He just held her close and she didn't resist.

They stayed like that until Lucy remembered something. She lead him into her bedroom and told him to close his eyes. "Wait here," She told him as she left the room. He heard her enter a few moments later along with small, high noises. "Okay,open your eyes." He did. His eyes locked with those of the young baby boy. The boy looked at him curiously and smiled when he recognized him from pictures. "Natsu, this is your son, Nash."

He didn't know how to react at first. He was starring into the eyes of a son he didn't know exisited. But he took the boy into his arms. He looked so much like his mother. But he knew the child's smile was his when the corner's of Nash's mouth turned upwards. Lucy started to get a little nervous when he wasn't having an obvious reaction. But calmed down when he began to smile and tears came out of his eyes. He was a father, and at that moment promised himself he'd be a great one.

***

Author's note;

Some of you were getting nervous after I published that last chapter so I updated again. I'm going to be updating daily this week or until I finish the story. Which I'm sorry, but it may be tomorrow. D': I know. But afterwards, I'll be getting that lemon chapter up along with story extras. Such as; the spotify playlist for the story, facts about the story, and inspiration for it. Along with a little bit of information about myself if anyone would be interested