Chapter 6 - Loose ties

• Next Morning •

Lucy had introduced herself to the guild, most welcomed her with open arms. A requip Mage by the name, Erza Scarlet, was seated next to her at the bar.

"So you are the princess?" She asked.

"Yes,"

"Why'd you leave the castle?"

"After my mother's death, my father banned me from using magic. I've wanted to leave for years but I just recently got the courage to do it." Lucy said. Mirajane handed the blonde a strawberry milkshake.

"What kind of magic do you do?"

Lucy pulled a small golden key off of her belt, "I can call celestial spirits." Wendy eagerly asked if Lucy would demonstrate. Lucy held out the key and called out the spirit, Cancer. A giant crab dressed in black pants and a blue shirt stood in front of her.

"What kind of hairstyle would you like today, ebi?" The crab asked.

"That's amazing, Lucy-san!" Wendy exclaimed.

"It is impressive," Carla commented. Not long after Carla spoke, Natsu, Lisanna, and Happy walked back into the guild.

"We're back!" Lisanna said happily. Natsu was behind her, recovering from a train ride and Happy was by his side.

The guild was quiet, Lisanna noticed. Along with the troublesome duo behind her.

"What's wrong with you all?" Natsu asked. He still looked pale but wasn't as bad as when he got off the train.

"Natsu," Erza stood and gestured to the blonde next to her, "I think you remember Lucy." Lucy was trying to keep her head up. Natsu was quiet.

"Natsu, can I talk to you alone for a second?" She asked. He nodded. Lucy walked out and he followed close behind. Lisanna held Happy back.

"Why is she here?" Lisanna asked after she left.

"We don't know exactly," Makarov said, "We know that she wants to use magic and she wanted a place to do so."

• • •

They were sitting on a river bed. Lucy's legs were up by her chest and Natsu was on his back. He was looking at the small pack on her waist.

"I'm sorry," Lucy said. She was quiet. Her voice sounded hoarse.

"For what?" He asked. She looked at him, was he serious?

"For what I did. I don't know why I did it." She took a deep breath but it was shaky, "I was upset. My mom had just died and my father took my keys. I just wanted to be alone. I got annoyed and you wouldn't leave. I was mad at you and cut myself out of your life." She hid her face between her legs.

"I'm so sorry."

"Lucy, are you okay?" He asked. He propped himself up on his elbows. She nodded.

"Luce," He said. Then she started to cry. He sat up straight and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She rested her head on his shoulder. She relaxed after a few minutes.

"Natsu?"

"Hmm?"

"What happened to your horns?" She asked. His horns were missing.

"Oh, the guild that it would be weird if a daemon accepted jobs killing daemons. So the horns get cut off every now and then so people won't know."

"Oh okay."

"What happened to your hair? It used to be partly up with a ribbon."

"It was up but last night it got in a tree." They continued talking until they heard guild members asking where they were.