Chapter 16 - Late Night Fright

The next day, Lucy was able to leave the guild. As she stepped out of the ward, she was surprised. The guild members were training. Most were outside, behind the guild. But some were inside, drawing up attack strategies. Mirajane stepped up behind Lucy.

"Natsu, may want to take you home. With what's happened, it may be better for the both of you." She suggested. Lucy nodded. She walked out behind the guild. Natsu was fighting Gray and Elfman. It was only a matter of time before one of them started using magic. She tried to get him out of the fight.

"Natsu!"

"Yeah?" He asked. Lucy gestured to the direction of her apartment.

"Did you want to take me home?" She asked. He stopped fighting and jogged up to her in response. Happy close behind.

The walk was slow and silent. Lucy needed to stop every few minutes, Natsu didn't mind waiting. Even when she was walking, she wasn't very fast. By the time they reached her apartment, the sun was setting. As Lucy unlocked her door, Natsu sat on her steps.

"Aren't you guys going home?" She asked.

"No, we'll keep a lookout for anything suspicious." Natsu replied, Happy nodded in agreement. Lucy closed the door behind her and climbed up a set of stairs. She opened her door and the first thing she noticed, was the kitchen. There was no mess, the stove was clean. On her kitchen table, there was a cake in a box. It was a strawberry cake with buttercream frosting. On top, was a candy version of the guild's mark and "Get Well Soon" was written in pink frosting. She smiled as she put the cake in her fridge.

• • •

She couldn't sleep that night. Her body was begging for it but her brain wouldn't listen. It was one of those nights. Lucy was sitting up in her bed, looking out her window. The moon was full and the stars were visible. She could hear Natsu and Happy talking below, but she couldn't make out what they were saying.

She heard a noise in her bathroom.

Someone's here. Her brain told her. It's Adrian. He's going to kill you but not before he-

There was rattling coming from outside her apartment.

Oh, you're screwed. Lucy opened the window and was about to ask the two to come inside. But they weren't there. You're so screwed.

She heard footsteps coming up to her apartment. She quietly got out of bed and grabbed an bottle of disinfecting spray. She heard voices as the person got closer. She walked to the door. The door knob turned and the door opened.

"Shut up Happy, Lucy's proba- WHAT THE HELL?!" Lucy sprayed Natsu in the eyes with Lysol.

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry, Natsu!" She didn't sleep that night. She spent the next hour looking up ways to help as Natsu kept his eyes open under running water.

• • •

The next morning, Natsu was asleep on the couch. Lucy was in the kitchen with a cup of tea. She had a lacrima on in the corner, next to her toaster. She had the news on, the news anchor was discussing a conflict between two major companies. She was hardly listening. She hardly slept and the thought of him kept popping up.

You really want to drag the guild into this?

No. But is there anything I can do about it?

Leave.

I can't do that!

Yes, you can. Go back to the castle. No one will get hurt.