Chapter 28 - Down With The Bloody Blond King

The battle continued into the night. Until it was three in the morning, then it was agreed that they would have an eight hour break for sleep. General Novell had no say in this, however, and was furious when soldiers began crawling back and curling up underneath blankets.

"Why the hell are you here? You should be fighting!" He stated. Some soldiers weren't as stubborn as others and headed back to battle. Really just to find a spare bed in Magnolia and hopefully last until morning. Others argued with the high ranking man.

"We can't fight forever like this!" Stated one man.

"We're sleep deprived, and-" As another was arguing, Novell noticed somethings.

It was quiet, somewhat. There were no gun fires or cries of humans. It was peaceful. And, a significant number of people were missing from his troops. Sadness took over. Even if his job was to send men to their deaths, it was hard to see the outcomes.

He raised his arm and cut the soldier off. "Sleep, do what you must to win tomorrow." The troops were shocked at first. But sighed gratefully when knowing they could sleep. The soldiers climbed into their cots and quickly fell into a not so peaceful nights rest.

The horrors of war had been sewn into their minds, never leaving.

Novell took in his surroundings. He was sitting in a dark wooded chair under a large nylon tent. Outside, the crescent moon and stars lit the night and crickets chirped as they hopped along the taller blades of grass.

He sat next to a cheap plastic desk that was littered with papers, maps, and a scented candle. Lavender breeze. His wife picked it out. He returned to signing letters that would go to the families of those who died in war. A few minutes into this, the king walked in the tent and to his desk.

"Good evening, your highness, shouldn't you be heading off to sleep?" Novell asked, taking notice to the king's suit. Jude shook his head.

"I've been asleep, general."

"You slept through that?!" Novell asked, astonished.

"Sadly, yes. After years of this, the sounds of war are white noise to my ears." He leaned against Novell's desk and peered out into the night. "The sun will be rising soon."

"Yes, but my men need sleep."

"I wasn't telling you to wake them up." The king scratched his chin. He was able to point out the guild in the distance, it was lit with lacrima and candles, giving it a warm glow. Little did they know, the mages were prepared for their attacks whenever they decided to do so.

• • •

"Natsu, quit your complaining." Erza demanded. The guild wasn't sleeping that night. The adrenaline had been keeping them awake through the night and few bothered trying to sleep. Natsu was rambling on about how he couldn't go out to find some sort of food and was eyeing the members. Gray specifically, because if he had to resort to cannibalism, Gray would be the first to go.

"I'm sorry! I can't help it."

"Well try to, would yah?" Erza asked. Natsu mumbled something incomprehensible and leaned back against the brick wall. Levy was seated to the right of him, by his feet, flipping through a book on concussions. Earlier, Gajeel had been hit in the back of the head by the butt of a gun. Not the manliest way to go down in battle.

He was sitting next to her with a bandage wrapped around his head. His arms were crossed over his chest as he tried to read the book. He was only able to pick up a few words on every few pages, though.

On Natsu's right, Gray was eyeing the soil on the ground and his boots. He hadn't moved for the past thirty minutes. Juvia was trying to cheer him up but he only snapped at her and went back to thinking. It wasn't rare per say for him to watch some one die, but it happened more often than it should have. And the feeling was forever recognizable, never losing it's strength.